Any other homeschooling families here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by littlelemon, Aug 1, 2007.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I am wondering if there are other homeschooling families here-
    It seems as if homeschooling and chickens go together well [​IMG]
    We are in Ohio and have just picked up our first little flock of chicks. The kids are so excited, as am I! They have been helping with building the coop, and learning about chickens from our neighbors. They will be on chick duty for the next couple of weeks. I think I enjoy watching the kids around the chicks as much as I enjoy the chicks themselves. Now to figure out how to keep my daughter out of the brooder [​IMG]

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Here we are!
    My daughter just grad. HS and is attending a local technical college for a year before moving on to a regular college. My son will start 10th grade in a few weeks.
    When younger, they were both my "chick checkers". As they grew, my son became the egg gatherer.
    Welcome to the board![​IMG]

3. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    southernsibe will be/is.

4. lcountry

lcountry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    We're a hs family too - 6th grade girl and kindergarten boy. We've been hs for our daughter for two years. New to chickens though - we're on month five!

A couple months ago there was a fairly long thread on hs and chickens.... I think there is a fair number of us on here.

5. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    We are entering our 8th year....4 DD ages 13, 11, 7, and 5 (working on adopting a son from Haiti). We are also new to chickens, (while the girls get to enjoy and learn, they are my babies [​IMG] ) We've had them 3 months now. My silkie went broody 2 weeks ago (goofy girl sat on 1 egg) so I gave her 6 more eggs from a friend. Hopefully at least 1 hatches. I just moved her from the coop to a dog crate and put the crate in my bedroom because it's quiet there. Learning is so fun!

6. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    WE homeschool too. I have one 5th grade boy and a little kindergarten girl. We love our chickens and just picked up two mille fleur hens and a roo! Wea re sooo excited b/c we've been wanting some all summer long!
    Glad to have so many chicken loving homeschoolers:)

7. Patchofheaven

Patchofheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Conroe, TX
    I really wanted to home school my kids, but I'm not real patient - so I don't think I make a very good teacher.
    My youngest is 11 - 6th grade, I can't teach him anything without getting so frustrated. My older son, 15 - 10th grade, is a breeze to teach and picks up everything right away. My husband and older son have to work with the youngest one because they have more patience than me.
    I have so much respect for Teachers, how do yall do it?
    Dana

8. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    We are homeschoolers as Banditgin said. I've got a 5 year old and a nearly 2 year old. We are new to chickens, but have loved nearly every minute of it. We're in Virginia

9. mamading

mamading Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    We'll be starting our second year of homeschooling soon. 2 sons 8th grade and 4th grade. My daughter will be 2 years old in December and I keep her busy with blocks or color wonder markers (the kind that mark on the special paper) she also likes to play "dump out and fill up" with measuring cups and cereal. She is starting to learn colors at the moment. She knows quite a few ASL signs and can say two word sentences. I'm hoping this year will be a little easier to keep her occupied so we can get more school work completed in a day. We're all enjoying homeschool and the boys say they have no desire to return to public school till college. We're trying a new curriculum this year too. So we're pretty excited. I could go on and on about homeschooling and what a tremendous difference it has made in the boys but I won't bore you all. I'd be glad to answer any questions though.

10. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I homeschool. This will be my 13th or 14th year. I have homeschooled two into college, with a third who will be applying next year and three more still behind that![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by