Any Other insect Keepers Out There

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sumatra503, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I currently breed Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches and in the past have bred carolina Mantises. I love my bugs and I was wondering what everyone else breeds or keeps.

[​IMG]
    here are two of my female hissers.

2. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I clicked on this post and just about screamed when I saw that picture. Sorry, but I don't like cockroaches [​IMG] Butterflies are more my style [​IMG]

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I love your hissers!

I just had crickets,meal worms,super worms,and wax worms. I had lung issues from the worm poop no matter how careful I was cleaning. Had maggots too,but that was just gross.

I had looked into getting hissers and other exotic insects for the kids,but dh forbade it,lol. Now we just have red wiggler worms and fruit flies [​IMG]

Do you sell your hissers? They would be great for classrooms.You should contact schools.

4. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    I have hissers, discoids, mealworms and superworms. Needles to say I divide my veggie scraps between the bugs and the chickens and then the chickens also get some of the bugs.

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Not yet, but when my son gets old enough for a pet "of his own" (he's just barely over 2 years old now) I'm thinking the Madagascar hissing cockroaches would be ideal. Most everyone I've mentioned this to thinks I'm crazy [​IMG] I work for a vet that also sees exotics, so you'd think they'd be used to strange pets by now.

6. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    I currently only have a tarantula and my compost worms but in the past I have kept black widows and scorpions as well.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have tarantulas, scorpions, had discoids, mealworms, hissers, a few other varieties of tropical feeder roaches and crickets..

I never had any luck with the hissers.. couldn't find anything that they would really eat (the guy I got them from said they would only eat rotten wood).. tried assorted veggies and dry dog food.. the others would eat like crazy.. the hissers hardly ate at all

so what do yours like to eat?

8. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    I feed my hissers a mixture of fresh veggies and processed foods. For veggies I feed carrots, orange slices and apple slices. They really like these fruits and eat them readily. For processed foods I feed either rabbit pellets or chicken crumbles. They like the rabbit food the best.

Hissers don't tend to eat near as much as other roaches and insects do, so don't be worried if it seems like they don't eat much at all.

I actually do sell a few of my hissers for 3-5.00 each depending on the age. None of the schools around here seem to be interested in them.

9. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Looks like i'll be adding Stick and Leaf insects to my list since I have 10 ramulus, 10 indian, and 10 leaf insect eggs coming my way in the mail. I've been trying to find them for ages and finally ran across them on ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by