1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any other L.A. chicken owners? Also, a couple of questions & pics!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TuxWink, Apr 17, 2009.

1. TuxWink

TuxWink New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hi there! I just received my chicks on Monday and I am in love! They are so cute. I've named them Lottie (black), Wanda (yellow), Maude (brown). I ordered from mypetchicken.com and they were great.

A couple quick questions -
    1. When can I start feeding them treats and what can I feed them? They are still pretty skittish when I stick my hand in their space and I'd like to change that. I try to handle them a lot, but right now they just tolerate it.
    2. When do they go outside? I have an Eglu and I don't really think there's a way for me to put a heat lamp in it. Is there a certain temperature it needs to be up to at night? I live in Los Angeles so it doesn't get freezing, but it will get down into the 50's even in May when I anticipate them leaving the house.
    3. I have lots of friends that want to bring their kids by to see and hold the chicks. The chicks have been vaccinated for Mareks, but I'm NOT giving them medicated feed as I'm trying to keep their intake to all organic. Is there a certain age they should be before I let these kids put their grubby hands on my babies? [​IMG]

Okay, I'm going to try and attach a photo!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I feed my chicks chopped boiled egg and plain yogurt at day 2.

They will be skittish especially if the hand is coming at them from above. It's good to sing or talk with them so they hear your voice before picking up. Mine like to cuddle in my pocket !

I start out at 90 degrees in my brooder and lower it by 5 degrees a week.

Letting little kids handle new chicks can be a little scary. I had a friends little girl squeeze one and it died. I would wait a few weeks.

[​IMG]

3. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Not sure about your other questions, but I have a 1 year old nephew who loves me chichs to death... Now that's scary. If I'm not watching him he likes to grab them and hold them, which could obviously turn out kinda bad [​IMG]

So I guess it just depends on the age of the kids, and how well you think they could control themselves about squeezing too hard.

4. TuxWink

TuxWink New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the info! I am going to try and avoid having any kids handling them. They're just so delicate right now. I bought some plain yogurt at the store. I'll see if they will eat it!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Hi! [​IMG] I live in the high desert just east of LA and we (DH and I) commute to Fullerton, Riverside and San Bernardino depending on the person and the day of the week.

As for the questions....kids should be fine as long as they are old enough to know how to be gentle. Temp wise...the temp needs to start at 95 degrees and lower 5 degrees every week thereafter. Around 4-5 weeks they should be feathered out enough to be outside in our climate (just keep an eye on night time temps since we get cold snaps...like earlier this week). And snacks...egg and yogurt should be fine. As they get older, if you introduce any other snack, be aware that they may need grit depending on what you give them. :) Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by