Any other Massachusetts (or New England area in general) duck owners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1duckychick, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm just wondering how the rest of you handle ducks in the cold and snow. I've had it great with my 6 since the summer but now that the chill is rolling in, I have to admit, I'm getting a little nervous.

I'd be happier if I could keep them in the house with us! They're like little feathered kids to me. If it wasn't for the uncontrollable abunance of poop they'd be inside from now until June but...

I need some tips and hints and a few reasurances wouldn't hurt either!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducks are pretty cold hardy.
    Make sure they have a draft free place to get in if they want and make sure their water is accessible a few times a day. Or you can put a heat lamp over the waterer to help keep it thawed enough.

This year will be an adventure and the ducks and geese (not to mention WE) will have some acclimating to do as we moved from the relatively temperate climate of Western Oregon to the NE corner of Washington. I will probably have a heat lamp in the barn for temps below 15-20 degrees, but they will have plenty of straw bedding and a heated water dish.

We also have a woodburning forced air furnace at the opposite end of the shop from the birds, which we will use primarily to keep snow and ice accumulating on the roof, but will help keep the birds comfortable as well.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in the mountains of vermont, and it gets seriously cold here. My ducks do just fine in their uninsulated, plastic wrapped shed. I give them warm water in the morning, refresh it with cool water mid-day, and give them a handful of dog food and a bowl of warm water (not IN the water) before bed. They do great, and they were born last september, so they were pretty young. I also have a goose in there with them, and he helps keep them warm. I forgot to mention, they were just outside during the day, I put down straw so they could have a dry, not icy or snowy place to chill out.

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    chickensducks&agoose :

I live in the mountains of vermont, and it gets seriously cold here. My ducks do just fine in their uninsulated, plastic wrapped shed. I give them warm water in the morning, refresh it with cool water mid-day, and give them a handful of dog food and a bowl of warm water (not IN the water) before bed. They do great, and they were born last september, so they were pretty young. I also have a goose in there with them, and he helps keep them warm. I forgot to mention, they were just outside during the day, I put down straw so they could have a dry, not icy or snowy place to chill out.

Dog food? Does it give them a protein boost? Which dog food do you give and how much?

My ducks lasted through last winter and it was a very cold winter! I had an outdoor heat mat ($20) it says for rabbits. Worked great to keep the water from freezing. A draft free little house would be fine and just be careful letting them out in the snow. One of my ducks got a little frostbite on her webbed feet. Their feet are very thin.​

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I give them pedigree, the kind I give my dog... see, it helps them stay warmer, gives them a nice heat boost, plus, if I don't give it to them, they try to steal it from the dog, which is a bad idea, and gets them nipped at. I usually give all my birds (6 ducks and a goose) about a cup and a half, i just sprinkle it in the yard away from the dog, at the same time as I'm feeding her, just at least 10 feet away....

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    We live in ME and our ducks have always done fine.
    We use a heated dog bowl for drinking water. We change to a rubber feed tub with a bird bath heater in it for bathing. The heater keeps the water from freezing, but if they touch it, it will not burn them. They have a pen in a shed with a Rubbermaid storage container with straw to go into. (We turned it upside down and cut a door in one end). I just make sure the straw is always dry. I throw down sand that I keep in buckets in the cellar for traction. I've never had a problem with them being too cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by