Any other Pheonix fans out there?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lindsmurphy, May 18, 2011.

1. lindsmurphy

lindsmurphy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hi all, just getting into the hobby and was drawn into the whole "heritage breed" kick. Anyways, I love my decision to keep only purebred Pheonix breed hens and one rooster. I currently have 3 White Pheonix hens, 1 Silver Pheonix hen, and 1 White Pheonix rooster. They were bought from a well known "Heritage Breeding Operation" in the province, who sell these birds for silly prices with pedigrees! I of course got suckered into it but love my birds. I am wondering if anyone out there has any information relating to my breed, and would like to post some photos! I am going to update this thread with pics as soon as I am allowed... I need some more posts.

Oh, and I just recently was blessed with 3 little chicks from one of the whites. She is doing a very good job of raising them and keeping the rest of the flock in line! Also, another hen is currently setting on two eggs, so soon there will be a few more babies [​IMG]

2. lindsmurphy

May 2, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Oldhound

Oldhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    Welcome ! Wonderful pics, Yes there are quite a few Phoenix fanciers here, As a matter of fact I have phoenix bantams . Look back a few pages for pics and conversation. Feathersite has some good info and pictures.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I took this pic today, to update my avatar...

My little Golden Phoenix is 2nd to the left. He's probably about 2-3 months old? I was told he was a standard Phoenix, but next to all those big fluffballs he sure looks small!! That is a SL Wyandotte on this left, then a Light Sussex, and a Blue Cochin, all are about the same age.

[​IMG]

This will be my first Phoenix. We are excited to see how he grows!!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. lindsmurphy

May 2, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    He does look a bit small doesn't he? But he's very pretty, can't wait to see him fill out more!

6. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    So I"m beginning to wonder about my little Phoenix... I was told he came from Ideal Hatchery on 02/03/11, I'm assuming as a day old, putting his birthday right at the beginning of the month of February. He should be a week shy of 4 months old right now. I would have expected for a standard sized bird, he should be alot bigger? I got him from a friend April 23, 2011. He started crowing the next day. But he's still so tiny!! Maybe he is a bantam? He's about the size of my Seramas. Or maybe something is wrong with him? I dunno.

This is my first time with this breed. Does he even look like a Phoenix? or was he mis-shipped and we have a mystery bird? I took him because he was cute and sweet.

Does anyone have a pic of a 4 month old Golden Phoenix?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Pheonix are a smaller breed then the big egg layer only be 4 or 5 lb instead of like 10 lb

9. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Quote:He does have slate legs and white earlobes so looks like he is very possibly phoenix. He looks like a red though to me his neck is more red than gold from what I can see.

10. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Well I know not to expect a high quality bird from hatchery stock. He's just a pet anyhow, I just want to know he's doing okay. He has a great personality.

Here are some solo shots I took today. I put the Snapple bottle in there for a comparison.

The little pullet that ChickenDales posted looks tiny too, so its making me feel a bit better [​IMG] Thank you for that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by