Any other RAW feeders? Dogs, cats, ferrets?

watchdogps

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Central Ohio
Wondering how many other RAW feeders are out there? By that, I mean raw meat, bones and organs, not just some raw beef tossed on top of the kibble.
If you feed all or at least mostly raw, take one step forward!

Oh, and this is NOT a place for debate or telling raw feeders how bad it is. Please don't do it.

I'll go first (steps forward) - I have 7 dogs (today that is, you never know from day to day, LOL!) and ten cats that all eat raw!

right now i do partial prey model...
i dont have the freezer space to go full time raw right now.

but once i move ill have a chest freezer and switching to prey model full time for the cats and dogs
big_smile.png

im hoping to raise my own rabbit and quail partially for this reason as well
big_smile.png

I used to feed my cats raw. Now I have her on Blue Wilderness kibble and canned. It was too much work. But they were definitely at their healthiest when I was feeding them raw! Our only cat now kills and eats so much on her own, she's probably on an 80% raw diet anyway without me doing all that work! lol.

I feed raw to my dogs. My cats are just converting so they still have kibble available but get raw very night. I found a kitten last weekend and he likes raw much better than kibble. He was feral so probably never ate kibble in his life.
I've fed raw to my digs for about ten months now. One doberman, a papillon and a chihuhua. The cats just started two weeks ago and are taking to it surprisingly well.
I base my meals on beef heart and pork. One or two times a week they get chicken with bones so not much bone, unless their poo is too runny. They get liver once very week to ten days. I have thymus for another organ, which they get about every two weeks or so, maybe more, now that I found a good source through my raw feeding coop.

RAW feeder right here.
smile.png
My cats of course eat what they please around here, but I purposefully feed my dogs our own raw chicken (dual purpose, not Cornish X) and they also get raw eggs, egg shells, occasional veggies too if they choose, and when we can, we get them Duck and Goose.

At some point we'll feed them Rabbit too but that's not happening very soon.

That was actually one of the main reasons we got into chickens. With seven dogs, three of which are 120lbs, we use a lot of meat!

Not raw but maybe with time. I have a VERY skinny cat,and this resulted in me looking at the food for the dogs and cats. I just did a batch of food for both.Cat was not interested in the raw chicken liver,but she did eat some once it was cooked all on her own(I have to syringe feed). I am looking forward to seeing the health changes that the dogs and cats will have.My dogs have skin issues.

My biggest worry is proper nutrition and loose stool(carpeting!)

From what I read cooking kills a lot,so I would have less worry if I atleast mixed some raw in with the cooked stuff. I am giving small amounts of food hoping there is no explosive diarrhea during the night.

To be honest I have been VERY confused about the cooked/raw debate.I have gotten every book I could on the subject and it is split. I think I just have to do it and see how things go.
I got a rabbit from a lady who raised them to feed to her african Banseji(sp) dogs that she bred. Great looking dogs and I am sure fed raw.

Just wondering if your raw eaters had health issues on *pet kibble* or canned that disappeared on homemade food.

Dh says the pets eat better than us,lol. I went vegan last week so I am splitting the meat with family and pets!

http://www.rawdogranch.com/

Mattemma
, check out the site above if you haven't already. Laurie is on another forum that I am a member of and always SUPER helpful to people getting started on a raw diet.

I wouldn't do cooked - just don't have the time and it kills most of the benefits of a raw diet.

step 1: introduce one meat source at a time. For example, chicken. Feed nothing but chicken products for the first week or 2. Then add in a second source, such a turkey (or deer sine it's that time of year)

step 2: go easy on the liver/organ meat. too much is going to cause diarrhea.

With skin issues, you are going to see a HUGE difference in your dogs.
smile.png
And faster than you expect!

My dogs get chicken every day
wink.png
what i do is dispatch the birds then toss them in a fire i have made to burn off the feathers then when they cool i toss one to each dog.
Sometimes i have rain comming so i do some extras and put them in the barn fridge for later feedings, i rarely use dog food and then they don't finish it, they are waiting for their chicken.

Honestly my dogs seem to prefer the flock raiser over TOW dog food go figure.

My cats get cat food up on the conex box but they prefer to hunt for fresh meat like squirles and such.

Back
Top Bottom