Any other RAW feeders? Dogs, cats, ferrets?

Quote:
I had a cat with IBD that improved significantly on raw. I didnt have any real serious issues with the dogs that I started on raw, but they did have the "normal" occassional hot spot, ear gunk, etc. None of those now. I did have a dog who packed on lbs easily on kibble, but could eat a normal amount of raw so I didnt feel like I was starving her anymore.
The biggest difference is their overall health. Things you didnt realize were bad improve. My dogs all (and I have seven, plus whatever litter or rescue is here) have great coats, clean teeth, no odor. You may not think your dogs/cats are bad now, but what made me realize it was that after a while on raw, everyone else's dogs seem yucky! I cannot stand a kibble breath kiss now! ICK!
Plus, my pets have had no fleas since being on raw. We just moved to the country where I was warned the fleas were awful. Nada. I use NO flea control either.
I went back to kibble briefly maybe six yrs ago. I swear, in less than a month, it was like my dogs got a film over them. Their coats dulled, their teeth gunked. Yuk. Never again.

I tried to move shelter dogs from cheap kibble to raw and then later real cooked food. The one never stopped being sick even after a few months so I gave up. Later i discovered the supposedly healthier brands of kibble so they get innova now. At five years they are now getting fleas for the first time and it looks like the start of mange. They are outside more than they used to be so I attribute it to being in the dirt more. Id like to try going on raw again. Suggestions? Or should I switch to a different kibble?

Added...I didn't do a probiotic while trying raw so maybe that was key for her?

Last edited:
it could also be a sensitivitly to certain meat sources...if chicken and pork tend to be the hardest, if doing raw pick 1 meat and use only that protein source for at least a few weeks...if you tred chicken last time it might be worth trying turkey or rabbit this time...she may be sensitive to rich meats.

Quote:
There are some dogs whose systems are so messed up there will have to be concessions made for the rest of their life.
Innova was bought by Procter and Gamble, so much for their quality.
If they have fleas, I'd guess the mange you are seeing is from scratching. They can easily get secondary yeast infections where they dig. Yeast is fed by starches, which are in all kibbles, even grain free.
If anyone wants to join an email list to learn more about raw, and get a mentor, PM me your email address and real name, and I will add you to the list.

Quote:
My lab/english bulldog mix got to the point that we were going to have to put him down. His skin thickened, turned grey and started oozing. His hair started falling out. Did the typical vet/medicine route till the vet admitted that we had reached the end. I took the dog home and started looking. I found the Pitcairn book and started the dog on that. I saved his life. He looks wonderful now. No skin problems, the itchiing went away, he poos less, stinks less, feels better...it is wonderful.This book tells you the nutrients to use and what to do. Makes it very easy.
sharon

When I had hunting dogs thats what I fed. chicken necks or deer scraps for protein and rice or bread for carbs. they all did real well. yard cleanup was non-existent. poop turned white and crumbled. no smell. I loved it, and so did they. they would turn their nose up at kibble.

I feed my one dog raw, started a week ago actually. I always wished I had the money to feed the expensive kibble diets, but after researching online decided raw sounded much healthier and natural

She eats two chicken leg quarters a day, sometimes a liver or gizzard thrown in. She is about 35 pounds or so. She loves it,and her stool is smaller and no smell! (Yeah, I inspected it )

I have three kittens of differing ages and want to start them too, just waiting for the time. Any information on raw feeding cats? Most I saw was dogs. What do the cat people feed?

raw cat people feed the same stuff. check out rawdogranch.com I believe that Laurie has a couple of cats on raw.

Yep, cats are pretty much the same, just that they can be more of a PITA about it. Get the kittens started ASAP! The younger the better. Cats imprint on foods, and once they are kibble junkies they can be so resistant to change. Cats WILL starve themselves, unlike dogs.

Back
Top Bottom