Any other signs of a egg going to be laid soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi

I have 5 RIR's and they haven't laid yet. They are 27 weeks old and have big combs and waddles that are bright red. 2 of them started to squat 3 days a go. I am about 50 metres from the coop so i wouldn't be able to hear the chickens sing the egg song. I was just wondering if there are any other signs other than age, egg song, comb and waddles and squatting.

Thanks

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Both my girls before laying their first egg paced a LOT. Going in and out in and out of both coops and all nesting boxes trying to find the right spot. Sometimes I would go to the coop with them and stand gaurd as they settle in [​IMG] the rooster will do that sometimes. So the day they lay first egg probably pacing, going in and out of coops, trying to find right place, seeming very restless ect. At least that is true for me.

My girls laid 4 and 6 days after squatting first time, I have a friend who's pullet squatted for 3 weeks before laying, so time varies [​IMG] Good luck and hope for an egg soon!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    when you give up all hope they willl start to lay lol. I gave up and just figured i would wait till spring and shazam I got 4 hens layind and a new one today yahooooooooooooooo

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, mine get very vocal the day they start laying and pace back and forth to the coop. Like they don't know what's happening.

5. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Quote:Yes, this is exactly my experience with all 8 of my hens!
    CJ

6. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Quote:Ok...I give up. Mine are 27 wks old too. Just give up til spring. That's it. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ok...I give up. Mine are 27 wks old too. Just give up til spring. That's it. [​IMG]

Go buy a dozen at the store. That will guarantee you'll come home to eggs. [​IMG]

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I just found out attitude could be an indicator! [​IMG] *I asked in a different thread.

Mine have turned into little divas over the last week and are getting bolder by the day! They're 23wk old EEs. I haven't noticed any squating but we don't usually have the time to watch them for long periods. I try but I work an insane schedule and so does my DH.

9. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:Mine are 10 months old and still do that. They will walk around the yard complaining and then like the light bulb goes on they run to the coop to lay an egg [​IMG] Whan mine started to lay there where no signs there was just a egg one day in the nesting box [​IMG] Mine have always been a little odd tho [​IMG]

10. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Another sign. The day you catch her madly tossing straw* over her shoulders and onto her back.... she's going to lay an egg ... that day!

*(or grass or feathers or shavings or leaves)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by