Any other suggestions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Easter eggers, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I tried putting them up on their roost at night but they just hop down.Any ideas on how to get them sleeping up on their roost because they are 20 weeks old and sleeping on the floor?

2. twistedwire

twistedwire Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    What breed?

My young pullets from this year are just starting to figure out they can roost-before they'd sit on top of my nexting boxes.

3. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    They are Easter eggers

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i had to take each one and put them on there took about three weeks for them to realize i didnt want them there. everyonce in awile ill find them where i dont want them but i just pick them up and put them back up. they will get it just dont give up.[​IMG]

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    As long as they're sleeping in safe location (e.g. locked coop), then it shouldn't really matter. Supposedly, all chickens roost eventually, some just pick up the habit quicker than others. [​IMG]

6. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Mine are 20 weeks as well and still sleep in the corner and not on the roost bar. I figure if they want to get up there, they will. If they aren't hot huddled together, then I'll just leave them alone. They seem fine.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    hmm, interesting...my 3 EE pullets love the roost, even the tiny one in their little cage, inside the coop (I am integrating them in)...when I let them out, they hop onto the larger roost..yours will pick it up, when they want to...chickens usually like to roost at the highest point they can find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by