any other vet techs here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by animals1981, Aug 18, 2013.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    Or wildlife rehab people? or zoo workers? just curious.

2. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I am currently in a program thru 4h that once I graduate high school I will be a certified vet tech! So I have experience, but I am not certified yet :)

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I did some volunteer work as a vet tech at an animal rescue for dogs and cats. In New Jersey, you don't have to be certified so I got lucky when the rescue asked me if I would like to learn how to tech.

Currently, I'm in vet school and want to work with birds.

4. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    wow chickerdoodle very cool, also i remember you from poultry youth!

I wan't to work with birds also avain vet tech, did you become a member of the avian vet tech? You can see their seminars.

No you dont need a license to be a vet assistant. But here to be called a vet tech you need it.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you have the same screen name at PYA? I was just talking to someone about that site today! I met so many people there!

I'm not a member of the avian vet tech association, but I will look into it!

Tomorrow is vet school orientation! I am very excited, but nervous also!

6. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    thats cool, I dont remember it was so long ago? lol How long is your vet school? Is avma acredited?

I remember you were one of the smartest there.

You will do really good. But vet techs tend to love all aniimals wild, domestic everything. I am in my second semester. The biology I hate.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The school is four years long. Not too long but I'm sure long enough! I'm looking forward to starting after being out of undergrad for a couple years!

I was super lucky and got into a US school with full accreditation! I honestly didn't expect to get into vet school the first time I applied because I heard so many horror stories.

Are you specializing in a type of animal? Vet techs are great! I just wish they were paid the amount they truly deserve! Techs just don't get enough for what they do and it's so sad. It's such a great job and the techs I've worked with were amazing people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by