Any other way to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hypnofrogstevie, Dec 20, 2007.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Well today is oficially day 7 for the eggs. I want to candle and see which egg is fertile. My maglite batteries are dead and I cant find any D batteries. I also dont have a egg candler. Do you think if I take tinfoil and put it over the heating lamp with a little hole that it might work? or will I just cook the egg?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If anyone you know has an old slide projector that works, turn it where the beam goes upward, make a hole in an old washcloth and throw it over the beam. Makes a fantastic candler.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think there is one in the attic we got at a garage sale. We where going to sell it because its worth about $500 but I am going to keep it as a personal candler. Thanks cyn!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Back when I was in 4-H I used a slide projector, it worked so good! I should look for one on ebay!

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wait for a full moon and hold them up to the sky.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check Craigslist. One of my customers, the one whose eggs were thrown in the snow out in her driveway in Colorado, got one there. She just candled a couple and miracles do happen-at day Four, she could see veins and the peep plain as day. They're not dead! She said she'd never been able to see her eggs that well, so I've converted someone else to the "Slide Projector Candler".

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think a slide projector is a good idea. Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by