Any Parakeet Owners?

Lanissa86

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
So my son sticks me at the Feed store for a baby male Blue parakeet. He is somewhat skittish but warming up to us. My son named him Poco, he is a cutie. Well, we want a tame bird, how hard is it to get a parakeet tamed? Do they have a vocabulary at all? Any info is surely appreciated! Thanks! Oh and I will try and get a pic of him up soon! I would also love to see your birds' pics!

Last edited:
To tame them it is best to keep a single bird. They are also easoer to tame if their wings are clipped, and males TEND to be easier to tame than females.

I have 8 in an outdoor aviary and I like them a lot better out there than in the house making their messes...
roll.png

They have a 4' x 8' x 7' tall flight cage and I have button quail on the bottom. Their cage is right out from where I sit and work all day so I get to enjoy them and watch them but don't have to hear them screaming all the time and making a mess in here.

Enjoy your budgie - they are very charming birds!

also, alone means alone, no mirrors. Spend a lot of time with him if possible, wings clipped, repeat phrases, or whistle a simple sound, like a wolf whistle, pretty bird, baby boy, or whatever you hope he will say. some talk more than others, seems to be genetic. cockatiels are pretty talkative, still in the lower price range, but must be hand raised to be tamed, and bite a lot harder than a parakeet. If you were close by I'd give you a cockatiel. i have two white faced cinnamons just getting weaned right now, one is pied, one is a gorgeous pearl.

OM MY GOODNESS! We had a cockatiel in the family for almost 30 years!!! His name was chico, a common gray and he was gorgeous! We couldn't find any breeders around that were reasonable enough, and I think 139.99 at Petsmart for a common gray female was a little steep. So we had this empty cage for almost 2 years now and decided it was time to put something in it, so we got the keet for my son who kept saying he liked them so much. $10 was a good deal to me, so I gave in. But wow, I would have loved to of owned another Tiel'! Thanks everyone for all the posts! I have been spending all day with him, and he has settled down and doesn't get skittish when I put my hand in the cage anymore, hopefully I will have a pretty tamed bird soon!

Three Amazon parrots here. Parakeets are nice birds, I had a little pastel colored one for many years.

Just spend some quiet time with him, he will come around there are many websites on training and proper care. Wings clipped is the first thing I would have someone show you how to do, if you don't know how to do it already. Toe nails too, if you want to handle him comfortably.

I discourage whistling to my birds by anyone. But that is just me....I don't want to listen to you whistle the rest of my life.
smile.png
Males seem to pick up words faster, I love their morning song to the world. They are charming little guys.

This is Mr Higgins, he's the oldest here at 18 years old. Double Yellow Head Amazon

2200_mailedd6.jpg

Last edited:
He is beautiful! I already clipped his wings, never thought about toenails on this little guy though. Thanks for the info! We woke up to his beautiful song this morning! He is actually pretty quiet, not sure if thats because of the new environment or not.

One of the greatest pets I have EVER had was a male green parakeet named Bindi Sue
love.gif
He was the best bird ever. He was not tame when I got him, but after a few weeks of work and just hanging out and talking to him, he became the sweetest little guy ever. Try taking your new baby in the shower with you. They love the moist air and sound of the water. Bindi Sue would say "pretty birdie bird birdie" "I love you Bindi Sue" "Here kitty kitty kitty" "your so pretty!" . It was nuts how much that tiny little guy could talk. Of course his voice was super high pitched and squeeky, but you could totally understand him. *sigh* I really miss that bird... With lots of love and patience and some time, you should have an excellent pet.

I have had various birds, including parakeets, all my life. Unfortunately, I could never get one of them to speak, but they were a joy regardless. As for clipping wings, I would only clip one. They are so light that they will still be able to fly with evenly clipped wings. I never clipped toenails but I did give them a variety of perches to help control the nails. And, about mirrors, they tend to become obsessed with them. One of mine regularly had relations with his mirror as well.

I have trained several parakeets using the millet seed sprays - you can get them at most any grocery store if no feed store nearby. First, I cut the sprays into smaller lengths, say 1 or 1- 1/2 inches. Clip one inside the bird's cage each day so he starts looking forward to it. (It's like BIRD CANDY!) After 3 or 4 days, have your son HOLD the little piece of millet very still inside the cage. It may take a few minutes, but the bird will eventually settle down and want that millet! After a few days like this, have him hold the millet in such a way that the bird has to climb onto his hand or finger to get it. It's important to go slowly, as a "scare" will set you all the way back to the beginning. Once the bird learns that hand = treats, you're home free. I also have better luck "scooping up" my parakeets with 2 fingers held out in a "V" rather than bumping their chest with my pointer finger. If you say "Step up" each time they get on your hand/finger, they will at some point get the idea and may do it on command. Parakeets are crazy, funloving little birds. Mine takes a shower each morning with me. Well, not under the running water, but he loves to sit on the shower curtain bar and we both SING at the top of our lungs, and I splash him with water every couple of minutes. He loves it! Don't be afraid of it - even at their MADDEST they can't inflict much harm - just a pinch (no blood!) so handle him often. They just love to sit on a shoulder - I keep a stack of old washcloths by the cage, and anyone who wants to try it can throw a cloth over their shoulder and not worry about poop. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom