Any parents here feed raw goat milk to their babies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fatguyaz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. fatguyaz

fatguyaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your HUMAN babies, that is... I have a year and 1/2 old son who i plan on giving our raw goats milk to. We're getting the goats next week (two pregnant female Nigerian Dwarfs...soo excited!!) and was told by our pediatrician that there is a risk of TB from raw goats milk... Everyones thoughts?

2. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I am not a parent but I can give you some advice. I personally wouldn't give your son the raw milk. I am in 2 food bacteriology classes at A&M right now and there are sooo many bad things you can get from food that isn't properly cooked, stored, or prepared correctly. Milk is heat treated for a reason.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    We all drink raw milk - my kids, 3 1/2 and 2 years old, have been drinking it for a year.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Generations of my family were raised on it. Healthiest bunch of folks in the world!

It seems simple to me.....go get your goats tested for TB! If negative, drink up!

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    We all drink it and when my grandkids lived here they drank it also and they are 2 & 3 and love it...its basically cows milk you really need to watch. We are all fine and no problems ...when I milk the cow is was to feed the bottle calf i was feeding and to take the pressure off her udder...there is a site i believe you can find it sat rawmilk.com or something like that and it will explain all the benifits from drinking raw...just google raw milk...

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    1st try try it on the kid that you don't like. OR! Get the milk tested first then drink it if it is ok! I pasteurize ours! Why did they start pasteurizing anyway?

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    cows milk and something about polio...I could be wrong on that but aslo I believe it refrigerates better when pasturized. we drink it raw and unseparated...love the taste also.

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I drank fresh cows milk when I was a kid. I'm still here [​IMG]

9. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    I was raised on raw cows milk until i was 19 and i am now 36 and have not suffered any ill effects from it.look at drinkgoats milk.com for a lot of good info.we now have a saanen doe who will be freshening in a couple of weeks and we all cant wait.

10. fatguyaz

fatguyaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    dangit... see, i was afraid this would happen. Our Dr advises against it, i knew there would be tons of folks on here that would have real life experience with it and say it's fine... i think my wife is sort of siding with the Dr right now... I really don't want to have to cook the milk before drinking. It's going to be gone the day or day after we get it from the goat. Has anyone or anyone you know had a trouble with illness due to raw milk? I'll check out the websites you guys suggested, too. Thanks for the advice, so far.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by