1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

any partial vegetarians out there?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by City Chicken, Dec 26, 2012.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    so, here is my deal. i live a about 95% vegetarian existence. I make exceptions for animals that i know are raised properly, treated well and will occasionally purchase from a small farm for my family. but you are more likely to get curried chickpeas around here than fried chicken. more likely wheat berry salad than tuna salad. however my vegetarianism isn't rooted in animal rights - i just think that it's healthier to eat well treated animals that didn't have to be bleached because they were bathed in poo. animals that ate good things instead of living with other carcasses etc... i think that a plant based diet will provide more nutrients as well as keep ones body working smoooothly and the weight down. (however the post christmas muffin top is another matter!)

we recently processed 3 chickens for our own consumption. these will stretch farther than one meal- more like 4 per chicken i am guessing. we have 6 people in our house, but nothing goes to waste here!

so, in the spirit of non waste i am considering raising only 15 meat birds every year to supply my families chicken dinner desires (it is a favorite). this way we would be able to have 1 roast chicken per month, plus leftovers, plus soup and stock. a couple to trade for other meat products if i can find others who would trade meat- venison for example.

do any of you tend towards a meat 'light' diet and raise your own for those special occasions?
    how does this work out practically for you?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    You can have clean, well raised animals to eat even if you don't have the room to raise them yourself. Most communities have a yearly rodeo where the FFA kids raise animals to show. These animals are raised like well pampered pets, they are fed the best of foods and housed in clean humane environments. The ones that don't win any ribbons are auctioned off at or sometimes below market price and the money that is raised goes to help these kids go to college. Also raising these animals helps teach the kids respect for the welfare of the animals themselves. It supposed to help produce a better future farmer for America.

There are usually rabbits, turkeys, goats, lambs, pigs, chickens, and cattle, as well as more exotic live stock. You can purchase the animals and deliver them to a processor and have some of the best meat you will ever eat and all the while be supporting a good cause.

3. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Mine isn't much of a meat-light diet, but I do have one practical tip for you - when you decide how many chicks to get to raise up for meat, you want to consider getting a couple more than the number of finished birds you want to have. Chicks are fragile creatures, and you are likely to have a couple die of unknown causes no matter how careful you are. I got 25 day-old chicks from a local store, got to pick out the strongest and apparantly healthiest ones, and still lost four of them. Two just faded away within days, one developed several tumors and died at about 2 weeks of age, and one simply disappeared without a trace (a snake, perhaps). So if you really want to end up with 15 adults to process, consider starting with 16 to 18 chicks. Or start with 15 if that's the max you can handle, but be OK with ending up with a couple fewer finished birds. Whichever works better for you.

Hope that helps!

4. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    I was a vegetarian for 11 years until recently. We started raising chickens for eggs, then figured we would raise some meat birds for my husband who was not a vegetarian. After raising a couple batches of meaties I really started questioning my vegetarianism. Not because I was tempted by the chicken but I actually felt I was being disrespectful, to kill a chicken and not eat it felt like I was just killing a chicken. The whole reason I did not eat meat was because of factory farms, these chickens were being raised with love and compassion so what was my excuse? So now I eat what we raise and feel very good about my decision.

We raised 50 chickens for meat last year and are planning on 75 this year. So more than you, we eat chicken 2x a week and our dogs are fed chicken. Also it gives us enough to give some away to neighbors etc. But I think raising just 15 birds for your own meat consumption is very practical!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My diet is not light on meat at all, but I generally don't eat meat unless I raise it or know and trust the person who did. I will occasionally eat meat out at a restaurant but I usually go for vegetarian or fish if we are out somewhere. I don't like that way meat is raised on commercial farms and I don't want to spend my food dollars supporting them.

6. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    ─Žal Luqa, Malta
    :( This made me ever so sad.... So the ones that didn't win any ribbons drew the worst lot of all.... :( :(

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not at all---all the animals are butchered, even ribbon winners.

My only thought to the OP is do you have room in the freezer for 15 chickens? That takes up a fair amount of space.

8. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    i would can half and freeze half. :) i love canned meat.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well there ya go!
    I love having canned chicken on hand. My sisters, niece and nephew came to visit for a weekend. I didn't want to spend all my time cooking, but we're also broke and can't eat out all the time. Two quarts of canned chicken, tortillas, enchilada sauce, cheese, olives, canned salse--enchiladas! Took me about 15 minutes to put the whole meal together.

1 person likes this.
  10. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    i know! it's the best! i am processing my remaining X tomorrow and will freeze some, but will also can some. i love having it all ready to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by