any pet rat folks out there?

Dust Bunny

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
in the big freakin chip truck
am i the only nut who likes pet rats? feel so lonely
hu.gif

I love rats! They make great little pets. They were my first childhood pet. I lost my last one several years ago and haven't got another, though. . I always recommend them though when someone says they want to get their child a hamster or w/e. Rats are such a sweet, friendly pet.

We've had several rats over the years. Our first one was named "Jimmy" and was a rescue after my college-student neighbors moved out and left it in the mudroom of the house with the last roommate (who couldn't be bothered with it). He was really nervous at first, swaying his head from side to side, and really thin. We socialized him and fattened him up, and he turned out to be the sweetest boy ever. My DD, who was 18 mos. old at the time, used to carry him around, push him in her doll's stroller, and put him to bed in her doll's bed. Jimmy never nipped at anybody, and would even sit in the same chair as our cat, Poohter. DD was about 3 1/2 when Jimmy got cancer. He was obviously suffering, so we took him to the vet to be euthanized. I told DD that the vet would try to help him, but we had to leave him there and he might not get better. On the way home, DD said "Will Jimmy die?". DH and I looked at each other, told her he might, he was really sick, and we all cried all the way home. DH muttered "stupid rat" for making us all cry (DD didn't hear that). Yes, even rats become family!

whenever I am in the pet store and I see someone picking out a gerbil or hamster for a small child, I tell them she/he is not likely to be bitten by a pet rat but hamsters and gerbils are notorious biters.
I want one but there is just too much going on right now.

I have them. I used to breed them for pet stores too. They are awesome entertainment to watch run around. I still have my main breeding male for a pet, a large black berkshire who thinks he's a dog lol.

I had quite a few pet rats as a kid, they're so much better than hamsters!

When I worked at a pet shop in HS, we had a "mascot" rat name Gopher. He was neutered and he weighed a pound and a half. I used to let him sleep on my shoulder when I was on the register
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom