Any pics of 7-9 wk BO's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marcym, Apr 28, 2009.

1. marcym

marcym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    I'm confused. I think my 12 pullets are more than likely 12 roos. I'm on slow dial up, so it would take forever to upload pictures. Do you have any pics of 7-9 week old BO's that you can share? I've looked at wattles, legs, tail feathers, neck feathers, ect and still am pretty clueless.

Most of them have stumpy tail feathers that stick up, causing me to think roo. Then some of the ones who have longer tail feathers have brighter wattles. Their legs pretty much look the same to me. At what age would the boys start getting spurs? Is that something else I could look for? Ideas, pictures and any other input would be great.

Thanks for your time,
    A confused newbie who thinks I'll be stocking my freezer

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Here is a pic of two of my BO's;

[​IMG]

My girls are 10 weeks old. Sorry the pic isn't so great.

3. marcym

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks, that at least gives me some tail feather to compare. Anybody else have more pics that I can compare with?

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have 5-week olds and what I've noticed is that on the males, the comb is much larger and started to turn red at about 3-4 weeks old. I don't have a good tail picture but I believe this is a pullet at 4 weeks.

[​IMG]

5. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    [​IMG]
    I am hoping this is my 6 week old roo, his comb is redder and larger than the other ones

6. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Terri, Do you others have wattles yet? It seems to me that the BO's while being a larger bird seem to develop a bit slower than some of the other breeds. Has anyone else noticed this?

7. Terri

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    no, this is the only one that looks like he/she is getting them. i ordered this sexed, so i am only suppose to have only one roo.

8. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think that is your one :)

9. Terri

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    yea, i hope you are right.

10. marcym

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    Crap. None of mine look like the first pics, and the only hopefuls I have looked more manly than the possible roo posted here. Guess I'll try a hatchery for pullets this time as opposed to a man down the road.... Live and learn and make chicken dumplings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by