Any Pics of a Speckled Sussex Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlgoinggreen, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Does anyone have a picture of a Speckled Sussex Cockerel they can share? I was outside with my children and our chickens this afternoon and think my Speckled Sussex Pullet is actually a Cockerel. I really can't tell though. My camera has been sent out to be fixed and my cell phone takes really dark ugly pics, so I can't post a pic. It's the mystery chicken that came with my Buff Orpington girls from McMurray's Hatchery. I've been told they usually send a roo as the mystery, but I was hoping it would be a pullet. I really don't want roos in my home until my baby gets a little older. The first thing I noticed this afternoon was that it kept trying to attack my baby. I don't think it was trying to be mean, I think it was just trying to keep my baby from my Buff Orpington chickens. I was warned about this with roos defending the flock (the reason I don't want any yet). My 13 year old is really upset because he has really bonded with the Speckled Sussex since we got them as day old chicks. It's his favorite, but if it's a roo and keeps up this aggressive behavior it will have to go. [​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    here is ours,
    [​IMG]
    he is a big baby, best roo weve ever had
    and he came from murrey

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    were you from?

4. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:Central PA.

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    southern ky, in green co, i ask as if things dont work out and he is a speckled sussex, i might be interested n homing him if he needs to go

6. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    but we are a little far apart, in the pic thats a 3 point grader blade to the right to compare him to, we had 5 speckled roos but kept him, because of his temerment (wouldnt attack our children) to be honest the other 4 were pretty good eatin birds

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of my roo and also of my hens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    great lookin roo, where you at in ks
    i grew up in baldwin city

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm about an hour NW of Wichita.....central part of the state. I've been to Baldwin City....to a track meet.

10. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:I will keep you in mind. Like I stated, I have a 13 yr old who is really upset about my wanting to get rid of it. He's upstairs right now thinking up ways he can keep it away from his baby sister. Drawing up plans of ways he can still free range it and keep it secure at the same time. Of course these plans involve my purchasing a couple of Speckled Sussex Pullets to keep him company. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by