any pics of BR and BA about to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammysam, Oct 29, 2009.

1. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    hawaii
    does anyone have any pics of barred rocks and black australorps about to or just started to lay? And how old are they before they lay? Mine are around 17 wks and just wanted to compare. Dont have any pics but I will try to post some soon.

2. Babe77

Babe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    My BR's are 20 wks old and just started to lay the past 7 days (1 to 1-1/2 oz eggs). Don't have any pics right now to show what they look like but I can possibly get 1 in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
  4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    A few of my BR's started at 20 weeks. That was almost 5 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Bill

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Here are some comb shots of my girls. The white EE has been laying for about 4-5 weeks and is now 26 weeks old. The Black Australorp is 21 weeks old, and laid her first egg the day this was taken. The Dominique in the background has been doing the "squat" for a week or two, and this was the first time she (or any of the girls!) investigated the nesting boxes, even though they were installed 7-8 weeks ago! My
    EE had been laying on the coop floor, but since the BA gave 2 eggs in the nesting box, she has decided to use it too:clap

Edited with new info-
    Went out at noon today - I had 4 eggs in one box, one egg in another! From one egg layer to 5 in 3 days!![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  6. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    hawaii
    Thanks for the pics and info. By the looks of the pics my BR has a way to go and my BA which is about 5 months could be anyday now. Cant wait for that first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by