Any pics of CHEAP homemade candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by airmom1c05, Mar 4, 2008.

1. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I am currently collecting Serama bantam eggs from Penny. I have 7 golf balls in her laying box and my hope is that she will go broody while the eggs (hopefully fertile) are still viable. I don't have a candler, and I can't see anything through the shells with a regular flashlight. When should I be able to see anything? Can someone show and tell me how to build a candler using a tin can? I think I've read about such a device. Pictures will help my slow brain immensely and be very much appreciated. Otherwise, is it possible to purchase a good egg candler locally? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Crowing Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Tin can with a lightbulb in it. Hole in the top to put the egg on and a good DARK room.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I cut a hole in a coffee can lid - the plastic lid.

I use a spot light, so I had to put a glas measuring cup between the light and the coffee can lid as the spot light put out ALOT of heat.

Funny looking but it works!

4. I use a smaller box, I cut a bigger hole in the bottom so I could put my flashlight through it, and a smaller one on the top. It works pretty good.

5. I used my hubbys large led flashlight and a roll of toilet paper. Put the toilet paper over the flashlight and it does a good job with the egg on the oposite side of the toilet paper roll. Thats my darkest room so I used what was handy. LOL

6. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Songster

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I did the same things as Sherris. I had to cut the tube a bit since my flashlight was smaller, but I was able to see the aircell. Nothing else, but I might try again , now that the roo is having 'fun' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by