1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any pics of CHEAP homemade candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by airmom1c05, Mar 4, 2008.

1. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I am currently collecting Serama bantam eggs from Penny. I have 7 golf balls in her laying box and my hope is that she will go broody while the eggs (hopefully fertile) are still viable. I don't have a candler, and I can't see anything through the shells with a regular flashlight. When should I be able to see anything? Can someone show and tell me how to build a candler using a tin can? I think I've read about such a device. Pictures will help my slow brain immensely and be very much appreciated. Otherwise, is it possible to purchase a good egg candler locally? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Tin can with a lightbulb in it. Hole in the top to put the egg on and a good DARK room.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I cut a hole in a coffee can lid - the plastic lid.

I use a spot light, so I had to put a glas measuring cup between the light and the coffee can lid as the spot light put out ALOT of heat.

Funny looking but it works!

4. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a smaller box, I cut a bigger hole in the bottom so I could put my flashlight through it, and a smaller one on the top. It works pretty good.

5. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    I used my hubbys large led flashlight and a roll of toilet paper. Put the toilet paper over the flashlight and it does a good job with the egg on the oposite side of the toilet paper roll. Thats my darkest room so I used what was handy. LOL

6. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I did the same things as Sherris. I had to cut the tube a bit since my flashlight was smaller, but I was able to see the aircell. Nothing else, but I might try again , now that the roo is having 'fun' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by