1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any pics of hanging feeders

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dilly, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi, can someone direct me to pics of hanging feeders. I have seen the large wooden box ones that sit on the floor and the store bought ones. What and how do chickens eat out of a hanging feeder?

New lady here trying to figure out all that is chicken.

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    no I dont want to get caught.:mad:

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    That is too funny. Okay any pics of hanging feeders for chickens to eat from. [​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    First of all Welcome to BYC!

Here is a picture of my hanging feeder for my chickens. We have raised it once since we put it up 3 weeks ago. We plan to continue to raise it as the chickens grow. The benefit to the hanging feeder is......less waste. Because it is hanging the chickens have a hard time standing on it and thus scratching out feed. It works well for us.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your chickens!

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Duh, for some reason I thought hanging meant really hanging it up high. Sorry for being so naive about this. That makes perfect sense and thank you.

6. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Don't think it is a silly question. There are so many things to learn about chickens, and you have found the perfect site for that. There is so much information on this site, I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned.

7. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Dpeeps, How old are those chicks in the picture?
    I have that same feeder but have NOT PUT IT UP... because? I really think that my 3vweek old birds will sit on the TOP of the feeder by the string-chain & poop in the feed!
    do they?[​IMG]

Quote:

8. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:
    Right now my chickens are 9 and 10 weeks old. We put the hanging feeder up about 3 weeks ago. I have 1 bird that does like to try to walk around on the food, but remember that it is hanging and then it starts to swing. They don't seem to like that, so they quickly jump back down. I haven't seen any birds at the top by the chain and haven't found any poop inside on top. I had SOOO much poop in the other feeders I used, even had them up on "blocks". I rarely have poop in this feeder. Wish that I would have put it up sooner. When we first put it up, it was very low to the ground. I just made sure there little heads could reach.

9. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi Peps, how old are they when they start laying? What breed are your babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by