any pics of housing for turkeys in northern states?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Sandrachx, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    we have 7, 3-wk old bronze poults in the garage. the pen we have put together for them is 10Wx20Lx6H dog kennel panels with welded wire across the top. last year we had 6 bbw in the pen with a small wooden structure for shelter and they spent much of their time free ranging with the sheep, using their house when it rained, etc.. this year we would like a more permanent housing option for the turkeys and really need ideas. like the idea of the range house, but that won't work for a hard michigan winter. any ideas of pics would be great help.

2. BubAnna Angus

BubAnna Angus Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Tipton, MI
    I built a 10x10 shed and put some windows in it that I found at the recycle center, and attached random 2x4's for perches. I kept about 6-8 inches of sawdust on floor (no extra insulation) and would let my turkeys out during nicer days. They fared very well. My birds will not go in the shed though unless I push them - I was afraid they would freeze to the outside perches. I kept seven birds through the winter. We live Michigan too.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I live in Northwestern Indiana and it gets cold here. This is a demo barn that I bought from Lowes for half price. Size 10 ft. by 12 ft. It has shelves, a huge loft and rafters which the turkeys love. I did put a wide plank board for the heavier toms to walk up onto the platforms. They then fly up to the loft or rafters and keep cozy warm up there.
    They are pretty hardy birds and will stay outside all day even if it is snowing! I would usually keep them locked up when snow covers the ground just for my peace of mind. They seem to enjoy the winter without any health issues.

[​IMG]

4. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    thanks - i think the demo barn is what i'd LOVE, but the budget might not like it. but i'll keep my eyes open. anyone else have some pics or ideas.

5. Shaun

Shaun Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    We keep our 7 birds in an old shed with a loft. It's about 10 x 16. We didn't think they(esp the Toms!) would be able to fly up into the loft (it's a good 7 feet up there) No problem, so we had to clean out the loft.[​IMG]
    We do have perches for them - just old tree limbs about 2-3 inches in diameter, diagonally across one of the rooms. We put straw - about 8-10 inches on the floor. Our shed has lots of cracks and crevices on 2 sides, so there's lots of ventilation. We let them out most of the winter, and they don't seem to care at all. On any nice day we have to herd them into the shed.
    We live in Michigan, but we've found them very hardy - no frozen anythings, even though we had a couple of chickens with a bit of frostbite.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by