Any PICS of turkey eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Alexis, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'd like to see a photo of a turkey egg - preferably compared to a chicken egg. I'm getting some new eggs at our place, and we're starting to suspect that they may be from our BBW turkeys because they are kinda big and they just look different. Sort of speckly. We have 14 young hens that are just starting to lay, so we're getting all sorts of bizarre stuff in the nests and on the ground!

Anyone care to help me with this? I'd sure appreciate it!

*I just realized that not only does BBW mean Broad Breasted White, it also means Big Beautiful Woman. Oh my goodness... what have I been telling people? [​IMG]

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I dont have any photos, but my turkeys are laying eggs that are a bit larger than chicken with brown speckles on them.
    They started out laying pullet type eggs = smaller, odd shapes, soft shelled.
    Hey in the privacy of your home you can call your turkeys what ever you like. [​IMG] But you really should get out more! [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

Here you go... sounds like you have turkey eggs.
    [​IMG]

The other eggs in the photo are a bantam egg, and regular chicken egg. The BBB turkey eggs are pale peach with speckles all over. [​IMG]

4. Alexis

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Oh, aren't YOU funny! [​IMG]

After looking at the pics, I'm pretty sure we've got turkey eggs! I wasn't sure if they'd ever lay eggs before their intended "purpose" arrived. How egg'citing!

5. barney

barney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Buckley, Washington
    Beautiful eggs!
    Are you going to gobble them up? [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Broad Breasted White need to be Artificial Inseminated. Very Very low Fertility if not.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Same thing with the Broad Breasted Bronze... their breasts are so big that they can't get close enough to the hens. [​IMG]

8. Alexis

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm not too concerned about fertility, because I have no toms. I'm just excited that they are laying eggs, because I hear they are pretty tasty - and yes, I DO intend to GOBBLE them up!

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ate my share.
    You could get a Tom of another type. If you want to hatch your own.
    Like a Royal Palm. The cross would make nice meat birds. Not as good as a pure BBW,but better than pure Royal Palms.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  10. Alexis

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I suppose I could, but then I'd have to learn how to artificially inseminate - and I am SO. NOT. INTO. THAT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by