any pictures of dyed silkies...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fancie, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I just got done dying my silkie and will be working on the ducks tomarrow... it just looked too fun... My silkie is drying off right now and will post a pic when she is dry... but mean while... does anyone have pics of thier dyed silkies????

btw... the idea was xxmrsbellxx and it was taken from When Easter eggs hatch (DO NOT START A DEBATE)... (PICS) post... just so I don't look like I'm trying to take credit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I always thought about dying chicks for easter. But I never had the guts to do it. I was always worried they would get chilled from being wet. Or that the dye might hurt the eyes.

3. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    she is still a little wet... maybe next time I will do better.

[​IMG]

The other chickens showed a great interest in her

[​IMG]

I put her back inside to dry her a bit more. It didn't turn out as good as I wanted but I just soaked her in a tub of purple food colored water.

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    That is cool!! I better not show my kids, they will be having me dye the whole flock!! LOL!! Or worse, each other!! [​IMG]

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    hahahah
    what did i start here....

i WILL have a bright pink young silkie picture soon..... so keep a watchful eye

6. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Unflavored Koolade works well for dying, as well. (I'm a spinner, and I've used it for dying wool on many occasions. Why not dying chickens?)

7. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I dyed eggs today.. and used the extra dye on my ducks and chickens... it is just way to much fun. For the ducks it served a practical purpose as well... tomarrow is cull (for easter dinner) and it markes the two I will keep.

[​IMG]

I redyed my silkie too... will take pictures when she is dry.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Do they make unflavored Kool-ade?

9. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    its actually UNSWEETEND kool-aid lol

i use it on my crestie dogs, dont have any hens to dye yet though.

koolaid works VERY well BUT it will stain EVERYTHING from the bird/animal to your clothes, skin and the counter tops [​IMG]
    it does stain brighter than food dye though and will last a good 2 months on most critters...(about a week on people skin)

as a side note:
    be carefull though if you have nosey and not nice neighbors as its illegal to dye chicks in many towns/states...and while i havent seen rules reguarding dying adults theres always someone to spoil the fun...
    personally i have no issues with it because its safe and its not like your dying them to sell them. but it is something to be aware of if you have nosey neighbors, alot of people dont know that its harmless...

10. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Jilara meant unsweetened Kool Ade. I have used it for many different fibers as well. However, it does last qhite a while so be sure you want what you're getting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by