any pictures of show quality silkie feet LOL

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by comedianchick, Jan 4, 2010.

1. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    is it really a big deal if silkies have evenly spaced toes and dark skin even if they have five toes and feathered feet ? any pics of silkie feet would be appreciated

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont have any pictures offhand. But yes, it is a big deal. The top toe should point backwards/upwards. The other alter toe backwards and evenly spaced,,,,,no toes too close together(pincher toes). And no webbing between the toes either. [​IMG]

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I just want to add that silkies take a long time to develope and you can't really tell what you have until they are fully grown, bar some blatant faults.

4. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    [​IMG] because most jusdges say as long as they have five toes they are okay and only if theres an eqivalent bird will the other one win if yours have bad toes

5. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Silkie toe placement isn't as big as a deal as some make it, of couse ideally you want your silkie toes evenly spaced and properly placed however, when it comes down right down to it in a show it's a matter of a few points. A bird is judged on TYPE first then condition and vigor, if the bird has everything else going for it besides a mis-placed toe will not hurt the bird. Iv'e personally seen birds win Champion Featherleg with mis-placed toes. I'm not making excuses for breeding bad feet into anyone's line just making a point toe placement is over-rated. Let me go on to say you can have great toes and bad type bird and the judge won't look twice at it.

Shari

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have been told of a silkie who won champion (not sure if champ of show champion bantam) at a large show that was duckfooted. This was I think three years ago.

Type first, everything else later--in general, things that show the most seem to get more attention than things that are less obvious. Skin colour can indeed be a big issue with a silkie--too light skin is a DQ--it needs to be at least slate coloured. If the bird has 5 toes, that is what really counts--toes as a whole are only worth about 3 points.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by