Any Polish Crested Experts Out There?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blynn025, Oct 21, 2014.

1. blynn025

blynn025 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a week old Polish Crested that I don't know the sex of. I'm really hoping it's a roo, but I wasn't told. Are there any tips or tricks with this breed to look out for as far as early sexing? I'm hoping to find out as early as possible as I want to add a roo to my flock but only need one. If this isn't a roo I would like to get a cockerel now to add to the two chicks I currently have in the brooder. I have a video but no pics. I will try to get a still, but you know how easy week old chicks are to get to hold still. haha. Any advice on what to look out for as far as sex in this breed would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    This is a pic I took of a pair of White Crested Black Polish chicks I had; the one on the left is a bantam hen, the one on the right, a standard roo:
    [​IMG]

It's a little over-exposed and out of focus, but I think you can see that the crest fuzz of the hen is pretty much round, and on top of her head, the crest of a roo is more oval, and it runs down the back of his head more. Hope that helps!

3. blynn025

blynn025 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    They're so cute :) Mine is some where in the middle. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by