Any possibility Polish or Black Star will go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kirkland, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Kirkland

Kirkland Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    One of our three "pullets" grew up to be a rooster. He was a very, very late bloomer. Didn't make a peep until over 5 months old and now he is a-doodling away.

Any way, we would like to take advantage of our accidental rooster and go for chicks, but our hens are a Polish and a Black Star neither of which are supposedly good sitters. Anyone have any experience getting either breed to sit? Any hints for success?

We can go the incubator route, but we thought we'd give the girls a chance first.

Thanks!

2. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    my polish hatched out chicks, once

3. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    I don't know about the black star, I know nothing about the breed. I do have a white crested polish that is not a reliable layer, she is going through a molt right now and not laying at all, and the breed in general does not go broody. Ours has never gone broody and we have had her for over a year. we did hatch out babies from her and our RIR roo in an incubator though. Some hens/pullets will go broody despite what the norm is for the breed, so don't give up hope [​IMG]

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I had a white crested black polish go broody this year. She didn't finish her "sit".

5. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I had 2 silver laced polish go broody and hatch them out but they were a year and a half had no interest the first year but maybe seeing the silkies and cochins they decided to join the broody fun!!
    I have wcb and wcbl now going to be a year and no signs of wanting to set..

6. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if Black Stars are similar to Red Stars (I think they are), I got a broody Red Star. She's young too...only born in February. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Any chicken can go broody..some breeds it's just not very common. We have a leghorn that lives to raise chicks..literally. She never lays an egg because she's so obsessed with chicks being under her wings. [​IMG] Leghorns are considered non sitters of the highest degree.
    She can't read the book that says they don't sit but she can count her chickens [​IMG]

8. Kirkland

Kirkland Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Thanks for the examples and well wishes! She has been busy moving the eggs back out of the nesting box where I moved them into what she has decided is her nest. That should be a good sign, right? There are only 5 eggs so far including 2 golf balls.

My roo is probably 6 months. If we have seen him with her several times can we assume he is fully mature?

9. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Thats a good sign...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by