Any poultry feed that has no animal proteins in it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jason_mazzy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Anyone know what brands if any have no animal proteins? or an organic poultry feed?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Purina. All of their regular poultry feeds (Layena, Flock Raiser, Start & Grow) are certified free of animal proteins or fats.

3. jason_mazzy

Jan 7, 2011
    I don't think so. the purina makes the tsc brand and both say ruminant meat free, but not meat free.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Like AT said the foods he listed are animal product free. Chickens are omnivores tho and benefit from animal protein.

1 person likes this.
  5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Overview/default.aspx

This is superior nutrition, made from only top quality, natural ingredients and free from all animal proteins and fats so you can raise your birds the right way-the SunFresh[​IMG] way!

And says so on their bags and in the e-mail I received from them when I wrote asking what "certified natural" meant.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. jason_mazzy

Jan 7, 2011
    odd I swear the bags at TSC just say ruminant meat free. if they are 100% meat free I will have to switch over. I use a feeder and try as I might the goat always figures out how to get some no matter where I hide or hang it (even under tables and benches). She can not get it all, but if she is going to get some chicken grain I want to make it as safe as possible to try not and get bloat.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Purina may mill Dumor feeds, but that does not make the Dumor the same as the Purina branded feeds. They can be and often are different from each other.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A.T. Hagan :

Purina may mill Dumor feeds, but that does not make the Dumor the same as the Purina branded feeds. They can be and often are different from each other.

Very true. The feed I now use is made by Lake'o Lakes/Purina but has a different name and does contain animal protiens. A company feed rep told the coop person the Sun-fresh recipes are geared toward the backyarders who seem oppossed to letting chickens be the omnivores they are!​

9. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Southern States feed has no animal protein. ("Vegetarian feed") I wasn't too happy about it though since chickens do great with animal protein, but it's the only feed I can get.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I feed Purina Sunfresh because I have a goose and since they don't eat protein from animals this is the best for my crew, the ducks and chickens find all the protein they need by free Ranging

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by