any processers in upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hensonly, Jan 26, 2010.

1. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Hey there,

Does anyone know anyone who will process meat birds for me, in upstate NY? Or any BYCers who could show us?[​IMG] My DH is ok with the killing part, and I'm ok with the cleaning part, only I have no idea how to go about it...I know there are many videos, written descriptions, photos, etc., but I'm just not comfortable doing this "alone" the first time. If I can have them done professionally, that would be grand. If there's anyone experienced who would be willing to educate me/us, that would be grand, too. We don't want to buy a bunch of equipment that we might use once, but I don't know what the minimum amount of stuff would be: maybe a cone, a knife, a big bucket, a stove and some hot water? Ice for cooling carcasses? I know it can't be so complicated and difficult or so many people wouldn't do it, but - eeek!

What I don't want is to end up wasting the lives of a bunch of birds, wasting our time and money, and ending up with no meat in the end! Can anyone advise/help? [​IMG]

2. chickenjoe

chickenjoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:I would have a couple of knives on hand and a sharpner , if you can get a hold of turkey fryer setup this will keep the water on constant temp 150 worked for us. You can make a cone out flashing just be careful because the edges can be sharp. place a bucket under the cone to catch the blood we spayed pam in it so it was easier to clean. Also have water hose near by for spaying down your work surface. Another handy piece of equipment is a plucker you can do it by hand it easy but can become tedious. There are plan for a hand drill one on this site. If you don't want to do it yourself there is organization that matches small farmers and people up with processors I believe they're out of ghent, ny . I had link at one time. I'll post it if I can find it. I know there certain extra charges they have for being the middle man. I believe it was .25 or.50 per chicken.

3. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Upstate is a pretty big place. A little more specific location will help out alot. The processer in Attica is not going to help you if you live in Prattsburg. Know what I mean.

4. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:I would have a couple of knives on hand and a sharpner , if you can get a hold of turkey fryer setup this will keep the water on constant temp 150 worked for us. You can make a cone out flashing just be careful because the edges can be sharp. place a bucket under the cone to catch the blood we spayed pam in it so it was easier to clean. Also have water hose near by for spaying down your work surface. Another handy piece of equipment is a plucker you can do it by hand it easy but can become tedious. There are plan for a hand drill one on this site. If you don't want to do it yourself there is organization that matches small farmers and people up with processors I believe they're out of ghent, ny . I had link at one time. I'll post it if I can find it. I know there certain extra charges they have for being the middle man. I believe it was .25 or.50 per chicken.

check these site out

http://www.hvnet.com/rcd_paint_page.fwx?Council=04&Code=0000000068

http://www.hudsonmohawkrcd.org/

5. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Quote:Where in NY do you live? I am in West Charlton I know of 2 or 3 places around here

6. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:Where in NY do you live? I am in West Charlton I know of 2 or 3 places around here

Could you post the info for these places I'm interested in finding a processor also. WEst charlton is about hour from where I live. I also seen someone a craigslist look for a processor also.

7. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY

Wow, I'm in Ballston Spa. Please do send me contact info for these places. that would be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by