any professional painters out there?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have a problem...

I have a sub floor with cat urine stains. We have removed the carpet and underpad, washed the floor with TSP.... and are sealing the floor to block the smell

I called our local hardware store last night asking for a shellac based primer like BIN,, (Zinsser product.. LOVE IT)...

they do not carry that brand but have another one... I asked if its on for pet stains.. they said yes.

I get home and stick the stir stick in to give it a quick mix and its VERY thin... pigment has settled on the bottom (they even shook it int eh store shaker for me this morning) bells should have gone off but I have installers coming friday morning and just want this stuff done already.

I go ahead and seal the floor being really generous so that the primer runs between the spaces in the floor (the floor that is being sealed is not plywood its 2" plank.. my house is OLD)

I come downstairs and I have a gut feeling this is not the same as a shellac primer... and I was right I looked it up on the store website and it is in fact an OIL base primer.

Will oil primer seal the smell as well as the shellac?

hu.gif
anyone?

I'm no professsional... But just on a hunch, I would say it might help. But wouldn't think it would do near as well as the shellac. I would be afraid the oil base would just "mute" it for a short time. Kitty urine stains in wood are EVIL to say the least.

Can you use "killz" on it the one that says mold and I think oder too it seals? I know we painted the floor of are coop with oil based paint and it has held up 2-3 years now to the chickens urine/fecces etc.

Quote:
the kilz is an oil base and to be honest thats the one hope i have right now... i used a LOT... I dumped it and just spread it around

I always always use Zinsser ... I need to learn to trust my gut!

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I'm no professsional... But just on a hunch, I would say it might help. But wouldn't think it would do near as well as the shellac. I would be afraid the oil base would just "mute" it for a short time. Kitty urine stains in wood are EVIL to say the least.

Nevermind!! I googled it.. It said that Kilz oil based primer will take care of it... So maybe you will be ok with any brand.​

Zinsser IS the best for your application. I have used it on fire restorations for smoke damage. Sprayed on with an airless sprayer it completely encapsulates it and youll never smell it again. If you can put off the installers for a few days, I can also point you to a product that is used to dissolve smells and break down liquids from crime scenes . (really) its good stuff and reasonably priced at about $50/QT but you cut it 4 to 1 or so. The site also has other, less aggressive options as well but if your going to be covering it up with flooring, it will be too late if a lesser product does not work.

Good luck

Last edited:
Me & My Peeps :

Zinsser IS the best for your application. I have used it on fire restorations for smoke damage. Sprayed on with an airless sprayer it completely encapsulates it and youll never smell it again. If you can put off the installers for a few days, I can also point you to a product that is used to dissolve smells and break down liquids from crime scenes . (really) its good stuff and reasonably priced at about $50/QT but you cut it 4 to 1 or so. The site also has other, less aggressive options as well but if your going to be covering it up with flooring, it will be too late if a lesser product does not work.

Good luck

yes I love Zinsser but was to lazy to drive to the next town over (about 30 mon 1 way) to get it... thats one downfall of a small town....​

Back
Top Bottom