Any rat fanciers here?

6Happiness

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Rats are my favourite 'pocket pet'. I've had them since '94. Any others with pet rats or who breed them?

I used to, they really do make some of the best pets its a shame they get such a bad reputation.

For someone wanting something small but very social they are perfect, they're like tiny little dogs almost and about as smart too. I used to bring one of mine with me everywhere, she would hang out on the back of my neck and wearing something with a hood I could go everywhere with her, she just slept most of the time, or poke her little nose out when I was eating something to beg. She would wait untill she was off me to go to the bathroom.

I love rats! I don't have any right now because I have so many other pets (including dogs that would go nuts over a rat!), but if I could only have a small caged pet it would have to be a rat. Rats definitely don't get the respect they deserve as pets. Intelligent, affectionate, inexpensive, easy care - what more could you ask?

I wish SOOOOOOO BAD that I could get rats. But their Illegal here in ( Stupid) Alberta, Canada
sad.png
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
sad.png
sad.png
hit.gif
sad.png
hit.gif

I used to keep ratties!
big_smile.png

My favorite boy-a Siamese-passed away from old age when I moved to Missouri. He was the sweetest rat ever, but he pooped like mad when you picked him up :p

I kept three of his daughters-a trio of matching Himalayans. The momma jumped ship (completely disappeared) when they where only two in a half weeks old. They passed at about two years old after a productive life and retirement. I'd have to say my favorite moment with them was when I actually watched and assisted them through their first litter at 12AM.

I also had kept a Hairless and a Dumbo at one point. The hairless killed (and ate) the dumbo rather randomly one day (food dish and water bottle was always kept full). The hairless was put to sleep after that, he was always a strange rat, rather unpleasant personality'd rat. I got him from a petshop because he just looked so sad.

I also kept a tailless rattie. She was a HUGE black satin female. She lost her tail, save half an inch, one day in the big cage. After about two weeks of being separated and running around with a bandage on her tail she was ready to join the herd again. Tissue has healed over, but there was a little nubble of bone sticking out of the end. The whole thing eventually healed over with scar tissue. She ran around for a good three months with her tail sticking straight up in the air like a radio antenna
lol.png

She never had any problems with it after that, though she did earn the rather unfortunate name of 'Stumpy'. She had to be my favorite female after the Spooky, Casper, and Hallow (the three Himalayans). I got her when she was about two, and she passed at three.
She only had one litter of three babies, born on the wire and gone before I found them
sad.png
Even though she ran with boys after that, she never did have another litter. But she was an awesome rattie nonetheless.

Stumpy was the last rattie I kept. I sold a massive herd (about 35-40 ratties) of females to another breeder after that. I do miss them dearly...especially when you came with a treat and went "Hello ratties!" and they all came racing to the stop floor of the cage and clung to the bars
roll.png

But now I have....BUNNIES! XD

Oo oo oo ME ME ME!!! I just paired my first breeding earlier this morning. Ive had rats since 2005 and I absolutely LOVE them!!! After getting my first rat ive never gotten another small animal and I think the reputation they get is just plain dumb.

I love rats and have 2 right now. A siamese dumbo named Tribble and a blue gray silkie named Chichi. Unfortunately, I noticed a growth on Tribbles tummy last night
sad.png
Both of them are 19 months old, so I am not surprised. Rats make such a good first pet, too. I am always trying to talk people out of getting their kids hamsters. The only downside to loving rats, besides their short lifespan, is it makes it very difficult when you have rats in the chicken coop cause I don't want to kill them (DH wouldn't let me any way)
big_smile.png
. We have the little black roof rats living under our shed and they are so cute. I know most chicken folk think I'm nuts, but these aren't the giant city rats, they are the same size as my pets. Just have to figure out how to keep them out.

Me! Ive had four different does in the past five years. But sadly I had to give them up since i wasnt home very often anymore and I hated them being in their 'condo' without being handled more than two hours a day. I LOVED my first pair. Best small animal ive ever had.

Back
Top Bottom