Any reason I can't put conchord grape vines around the chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jophoto, May 14, 2009.

1. jophoto

jophoto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    I've been looking for vines to climb the sides of the chicken run for aesthetics, as you can see our coop and run from the road since we decided to put it on the side of our property for easier access. Our coop is so cute, matches our house perfectly, but the run of course isn't as cute because it's welded wire and the mesh stuff - I mean, DH is doing an AMAZING job, I can't wait to share pics of the completed project, but it needs to be "landscaped in", I think...

I was going to put clematis everywhere, but then found out it was poisonous to chickens... so I looked up all kinds of vines - English Ivy, you name it, it was poisonous - either cyanogenic properties or hallucinogens or gastrointestinal... geesh!

So the only thing I found that didn't seem poisonous is grape vines...

What do you think?

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

No idea but am anxiously watching so I know what to put on mine!

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm also sure that the chickens will eat all the grapes, and possibly some leaves... Grapes are a treat for chickens!

4. jophoto

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    would it be better if I get seedless or does it matter?

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Would the vines pull the run fence down after a few years? I dont have experience with grapevines, dont know if they get too heavy or what? That is such a good and pretty idea tho, I am definitely going to try that...Unless my plans for bringing back some Washington blackberry vines in July works.....

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We have seedless Concord, Himrod and Canadice grapes planted around our coop. The seedless Concords are our favorites. The chickens eat all the leaves and grapes they can reach. They also eat all the Japanese beetles they can catch, and of course provide fertilizer, so I figure it's a fair trade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  7. jophoto

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    oh wonderful, great info!!! Yes, I actually just placed an online order for seedless concord so woohoo, they are coming! [​IMG]

8. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Wow why didn't I think of that???? I just planted grapes on my fence (other part of yard) Now may have to go buy more to plant on chick run as my ladies "go completely nuts"[​IMG] over grapes. My DD11 just begs me to let her give them a grape and watch the fun. Only problem ... I like to eat the grapes too but watching them is awfully entertaining....6 one way 1/2 dozen the other..eat or play [​IMG]??? HHHHMMMMM maybe both!!!

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop doesn't have grapes on it, but I have 5 established grapes vines. I regularly break branches off and give them to the chickens and tortoise. They love them! They just don't eat the stems.

10. Cluckatar

Cluckatar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    You mentioned that ivy is poisonous to chickens. We're also in the process of building our coop, and although we're not planting any ivy on purpose... eliminating it is a failed proposition in the area where we need to put our coop. Does anyone know how worried I should be about ivy near our chicken run? It's mixed in with wild blackberry as well, on the opposite side of a 4" spaced iron rail fence, so there is quite a lot of it poking through no matter what we do. I've just started grapes in a nearby area as well, so maybe they'll be too busy trying to get at those. Thanks for any ideas [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by