1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any reason not to toss these shrub clippings into my run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flyin-lowe, Apr 3, 2016.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    After just over 1 month as expected my chicks have the run basically down to mud. I started trimming shrubs around my house tonight, is there any reason that I should throw this into the run? From what I can tell online they are some type of "boxwood" shrubs. They do not ever flower or have any berries, just small leaves. My plan is to use garden waste, leaves, grass clippings etc. in the run.

[​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Those are boxwoods and resources list them as mildly toxic. Free range chickens reportedly do avoid toxic plants, but flocks raised in confinement in my experience will taste/eat anything we add that is green.

So, IMO - toss those elsewhere to be safe.

3. flyin-lowe

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks I'll pitch them, not worth the risk.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    They also don't compost well, so best to toss those.

I made a mistake once of tossing loads of apple cores in the compost - and then read the seeds were toxic.
    Now I check out lists before letting the gals access that area.

5. flyin-lowe

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Funny thing, I haven't even raked them out of my yard yet. This morning when i left for work there was a duck sitting in the pile in that picture near the sidewalk, like she was going to nest there. I have a lake near my house but no water real close. I thought it was kind of funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by