1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

any reason why

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GotCochins?, Apr 14, 2008.

1. GotCochins?

GotCochins? Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Owens Cross Roads, AL.
    a hovabator still air would have a ether smell? i borrowed a second bator to use as a hatcher and when i plugged it in it had a ether smell.seemed it got worse the longer it ran.dont know if it was some sort of cleaner that was used or not but i cant think of a reason why or what would cause it.obviously, i cant use it til its aired out but thought i would ask.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The wafer has gone bad-replace it pronto! The ether leaked out and air out that bator really well to get rid of any lingering ether smells. That happened to me with a brand new wafer and the company rushed a new one to me because I was expecting shipped eggs in three days. Never forget that smell.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. GotCochins?

Mar 10, 2008
    Owens Cross Roads, AL.
    thanks so much. i never knew what liquid was in the wafer but that is the only thing it really could be.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Feedstores around here carry the wafers. They're about $6 each and easy to replace.

5. GotCochins?

Mar 10, 2008
    Owens Cross Roads, AL.
    thankee,thankee,thankee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by