Any recipe of organic feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yook2000, Jun 23, 2011.

1. yook2000

yook2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    New Haven County
    I try to feed my birds more organic. While the organic feed is much more expensive than the feed I use currently. I checked my local store and find them have cracked corn and soy bean meal. The cracked corn is cheap. While the soy bean is only $2 higher for 50lb than the feed I am using. While now, I have some concens about changing the feed:
    1. How often I need to add oyster shell for the laying hens? Do the meat bird need oyster shell also?
    2. What is the ratio between corn and beans?
    3. Should I add Vitamines to them also?
    4. Any other choices to make the organic feed as cheaper as the commecial feed. (my local stores only sell "blue seal". The feed is around $15/50lb.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I'm interested in answers to this question as well, but on a small scale, LOL. I only have 3 hens so I can't get 50# each of 5 things to mix together--no place to store that much feed and it would go bad b/f I could use it!

I'm more than willing to get the more expensive organic feed (my feed store can get me this on special order--is it good? http://www.organicfeeds.com/downloads/NBOF-layers-brochure.pdf .

But maybe it would be possible to make it using stuff from the Whole Foods bulk bins?

I don't mean to hijack your thread, yook--just figured that anyone answering your question could probably address mine at the same time. [​IMG]

3. yook2000

yook2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    New Haven County
    I never buy the orgainc feed before. I checked with my local store and they sell 50 lb feed for $50. That is too much.

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Neither of those are or could be a complete diet. You need to do alot more homework as to what the hens need, and diet composition. It's much better to use a prepared feed. No one or 2 grains can be supplemented enough for optimal production.

Clint

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would love to know the answer, too.

I currently buy Blue Seal for $18/50lb.

[​IMG]

6. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Huh? You mean what I posted? That's clearly not 1-2 grains--it's meant to be a complete diet. What, exactly, is wrong w/ it??

Ingredients in Layer Feed:

• Organic Corn
    • Organic Roasted Soybeans
    • Organic Wheat
    • Organic Whole Oats
    • Organic Wheat Midds
    • Diatomaceous Earth
    • Limestone
    • Probiotics – OMRI approved
    • Salt (mined with no additives)
    • Trace Minerals
    • Vitamins

From the brochure:
    Nature’s Best organic layer feeds are fully fortified to keep birds healthy and productive. Our standard layer feeds, M0654 Organic Egg Layer Mash and M0650 Organic Egg Layer Pellets, are carefully balanced to provide high energy with a good balance of protein, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. Developed by an internationally known nutritionist with 30 years of experience in his field, our organic layer feeds provide a professional level of quality and performance.

http://www.organicfeeds.com/downloads/NBOF-layers-brochure.pdf

So what's wrong w/ that???​

7. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    Paws,

maybe you ought to read the first post mentioning corn and soybeans. I wasn't responding to your post. The original post was talking about corn and soybeans.

Actually in the link you posted, there's nothing that would allow me to evaluate that feed. I don't see any proximate analysis, no ME, no amino acid ratios... so nothing to evaluate.

Clint

8. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Oh, OK. That's why using the quote function is a good idea. [​IMG] It's impossible to tell to which post you are referring unless you quote the relevant material! When you said "neither" I thought you mean neither the OP's example nor mine.

I have contacted them asking them for the nutritional analysis. I'll post it when I get it.

9. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    "So that organic feed looks OK?"

I have NO clue, there is NO information there about the diet, just alot of feel good stuff.

I hate the quote function. I don't have time to re-read all the comments.

Clint

10. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

There is an organic feeds thread on this site, where one member is compiling a list of sources for organic feed for many areas, some with pricing and ingredients - do a search on this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by