Any recommendations for a good poultry magazine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MikelJohn, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    [​IMG] I have Countryside which I really enjoy. I received a copy from Backyard Poultry which seemed like a really good magazine. I am just wondering what everybody else is reading before I subscribe to Backyard Poultry. Thanks for any help. Happy Valentines Day!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    "Backyard Poultry"

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think there is one called hobby farms. its all about farming and livestock

4. MikelJohn

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    I have a free one coming from Hobby Farms. Kinda anxious to see what it is like. Countryside is good if you are into homesteading like we are. Backyard Poultry seems to be an excellent Magazine. Thanks for the reply.[​IMG]

5. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    Sounds like a business venture that BYC needs to get in on!!! Huh Nifty? wanna start a magazine??? I'd suscribe!

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Nifty does have a newsletter that comes in. I have to renew my sub to hobby farms. I should do backyard poult as well huh?

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I dunno, Hobby Farms seems largely aimed at, uh, how to put this politely, city folks who have always dreamed of having a menagerie of farm animals, especially if said animals will require minimal care or unpleasantness and rake in the moola for their gentleman farmer owners [​IMG] It is big on rosy scenarios, short, if you ask me, on USEFUL information. LOTS of ads for overpriced undersized hobby farm tractors and alpaca breeding stock, though [​IMG] Perhaps it seems different to others, I dunno, and if all you want is daydream fodder it's certainly good for that <shrug>

Backyard Poultry is great.

Pat

8. MikelJohn

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    Quote:Thank you so much for the info! No city folk here!

9. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    I agree with you Pat, I'm sure it has it's followers but not me. It really didn't have in depth articles on subjects we could use.

Countryside and Back yard poultry sometimes repeat the same article but not so much you wouldn't want them both, we do get them both and can't wait for the new ones to arrive.

Cindy

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Mother Earth is a good one too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by