1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Recommendations for a Hatchery???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I am going to order 25 or so meat birds and try it. I live in AR. and am wondering if anyone can make a hatchery recommendation for price, quality, customer service etc.

Thanks

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    If your going to get cornish crosses I suggest cackle hatchery but if you want freedom rangers J.M hatchery has a great selection for those. Good luck!

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Which are better? Or easier for a rookie?

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Chickens...I mean.......sorry. I got a good batch of rir's from Cackle but the customer experience left a lot to be desired.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Do the rangers HAVE to free range?

6. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:For a rookie well I'm kind of a rookie too. But it depends on you. The cornish grow very fast, they don't need as much room, eat a lot more, they can develope leg problems and shouldn't get to hot. The freedom rangers grow slowers, won't be as big for processing, need more room, but don't eat as much. I have a selection of both, to see what we like better. But we did process a few 9 week old cornish a few days ago and they are HUGE!

7. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:They don't have to, but it's better for them, and they need a lot more room then the cornish crosses do.

8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    It's gotta be cornish then. I only have pen space.....can't free range them. Where did you order from?

9. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I got 50 cornish crosses from cackle hatchery for only $56 plus shipping. They do have min. orders as low as 15 though.

10. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Do you have any pics of your coop/pen/tractor? Looks to me from some tractor pics on here that they don't need nearly as much space as layers. What do you feed them? Sorry for all the questions [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by