any refrigerator repair people here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, Oct 3, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    dh is determined we fix our refrigerator. we refuse to call the repair man because last time they came out they told us we needed to get a new dishwasher. repairman also said the reason they could not be repaired was they no longer made the part. the dishwasher was only 5 years old so I decided to look up the part myself. found it, ordered it, and installed it myself. no big deal as I grew up helping my step dad with about everything.

I just need to know what is broken on my refrigerator so I can order the part. the cold air quit, it was blowing warm air. dad and dh both say condenser ....the fridge isn't that old, but is out of warranty.... so, are they right?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

This blog: http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/

Has been in incredible tool for us. We fixed both our washing machine and fridge with the help of the blog.

Our fridge - side by side - the center divider was getting super hot....so hot I worried it would melt and catch fire. The blog help locate the problem - blocked condenser and we vacuumed/cleaned and the fridge is back to running the way it should.

Pull your refer away from the wall and vacuum really well. Pull the cover off the lower part - which covers the condenser and vacuum also. BE SURE you unplug the fridge first.

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I agree with Horsefeathers. First thing to do is clean the condenser really well (unless you've already been cleaning it regularly). If you DO end up needing a condenser for it, you may be able to order one through a company that repairs air conditioners if your local appliance dealer won't/can't help you. I own an HVAC and plumbing company and we have ordered them before (although we don't do appliance repair).

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    As others have said, clean the condenser coils.

Is the compressor running? If not, why not? Bad compressor? Bad thermostat?

If the compressor is running, but the condenser coils do not get warm and the refrigerator does not blow cold air, then it is probably low on refrigerant and you'll have to call somebody with the appropriate equipment to check it out.

The only reason to replace a condenser is if it is leaking and unless you have the appropriate equipment, those sort of repairs are usually beyond DIY.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ours was doing that and it was a fuse or switch type thing in the back somewhere that went bad. The repairman took it out plugged another one in and we were good to go.

It would have been a $20 part, but since we didn't know anything about fridge repairs, it was a $100 service call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by