any roo suspects?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cobranewt, Mar 8, 2017.

1. cobranewt

cobranewt Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Started a new flock. Did my best to pick pullets..but...see any roo suspects?[​IMG]

2. cobranewt

cobranewt Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2015
    It's a little hard to tell in these pictures: are you able to get any shots closer up (individual pictures would be best :) )
    How old are they? Some things to look for in roos would be pronounced spurs if they're old enough, patchy coloring, and of course larger comb and wattles, although as these look to be near point of lay I wouldn't rely on that, as their combs will all be reddening.
    One easier thing to look for in your barred birds is to look at the density of their barring; darker smudgy birds are hens, whereas birds with heavy white lines / much lighter will be roos. You can look up feather differences in barred hens and roos for more information, but it looks to me like all of your barred girls are hens :)
    Sorry I can't be more helpful!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It is very difficult to judge the birds in your photos, most of them are grazing with heads down. I can see color but not much of any body. It's also hard to see when a fence is competing with them..

Please take individual pictures- facing forward, and then natural side profile. Number the photos, so we know if its the same bird twice or different bird. You get to see them every day, the only image we get if from photos. Much more difficult.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    also very important to know their age.[​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think I might see one or two cockerels, but without individual photos, it is hard to be sure.

7. cobranewt

cobranewt Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Will do tomorrow. Think they arw six weeks. Tried to sex them based on the lack of...wing void....when i got them at 3 weeks. 21 of them. Suspect one leghorn is a cockeral...2 barred rocks are....dunno about the orpington...and doubt the sex links are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by