Any room for a Brit who loves her chooks ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bokboklady, Sep 8, 2010.

1. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    hi everyone, i have been reading this forum for sometime now and thought i would join in, you all sound like lovley people so i hope you dont mind a brit joining in. i have had my four chooks now for about a month and like a lot of peeps on here i,m eagerly waiting for some regular eggs, i had the first one last tuesday and it was a double yoker, and it was very tasty , then the following friday i had another , tiny little thing it was, then yesterday there was a broken one in the coop, luckily none of them had decided to eat it which was a relief, so now just waiting until they start coming on a regular basis, sorry, didnt mention what i have, well they are all hybrids, 1x ark rock, 1 x specklelty, 1 x white sussex, and 1 black sussex, dont know which of them are doing the laying but i think it might be the black sussex as she has bright red comb and wattle, they are all about 20weeks now, should i now be thinking of worming them and treating for lice, they all seem pretty healthy at present but then tnings do change over night. thanks for listening and hope i get some replies, [​IMG][​IMG] love chrissie

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    Chrissie, there are people on this website from all over so welcome! I am fairly new to the whole chicken experience myself so I can't give a ton of advice but I can repeat what I have been told. It was suggested to me that since my birds are under a year old, and since they are not showing any signs of worms, to wait until they are a year old. If you do worm them, many wormers will call for a two week period where you should throw out the eggs. For lice and mites you should inspect the birds by checking around their vent to see if you see creeepy crawlies and if you do see some, I have heard to use Sevin dust. This can usually be found in the garden section of a store. I am not sure if you have it over where you live but I am sure some other people will chime in to help with that.
    I never knew having chickens would be so much fun and I have learned so much by reading stuff on this website! [​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    [​IMG]

New people are always welcome here!

You can add Apple Cider Vinegar to your birds water and that acts as a natural wormer for them. As for the lice, have you seen any? You can always do a preventative so that you don't get them. I use Frontline spray our of a dropper bottle once a month on all my birds. It works great, especially since I have Polish and Silkies with crests where bugs like to hide.

If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. Everyone is here to help!

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG] from over the border. There are lots of us Brits here. Have fun!

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, I'm hoping all nationalities and breeds are welcome.

I'm from Wales,

Sandie

6. Lydia&Andrew

Lydia&Andrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Cleethorpes
    Hi.
    We have had our chickens for nearly a month now too so are very new to this. We were also advised to put cider apple vinegar in their water to help prevent worms, just half a cap each time, so that's what we do. Any advice is always gratefully received.
    We're in Lincolnshire by the way. Anywhere near you?

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Chrissie....WELCOME..You and anyone else you know that has or is interested in poultry is more than welcome! Lots of information is available on here as you have already read from just your posted question alone. One word of caution....IT'S VERY VERY ADDICTING..I find myself on here all the time when not at work or outside working with my chickens.... [​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] from Illinois. Its always nice to have people from all over our planet. Oh by the way is your ark rock like our plymouth rocks? would really like to see pictures.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] from East Tennessee!
    We don't mind where anyone is from, as long as they [​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG]

10. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Chrissie....WELCOME..You and anyone else you know that has or is interested in poultry is more than welcome! Lots of information is available on here as you have already read from just your posted question alone. One word of caution....IT'S VERY VERY ADDICTING..I find myself on here all the time when not at work or outside working with my chickens.... [​IMG]

D'Angelo says "One Word". lol [​IMG] But, it is very very true!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by