Any Roos here????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by juliemom25, May 6, 2009.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    So, we ordered all pullets, but I know there's only a 90% sexing accuracy, and we got 30 layers, so I am expecting 2 or 3 Roos. At first we didn't want any roos at all, now we'd really like one (to help protect the girls and to maybe hatch some eggies at some point). All our chicks are 6 weeks 2 days old. I know very little about sexing chickens and what things are indicative of gender. I know roos will typically have bigger combs and feet, but I know things change with breed also. So, please help me out...... Here are some of our birds that seemed a little roo-ish to me......

1. This a New Hampshire Red (both pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A RIR (both pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. A different RIR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Finally, a black australorp

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (it is the one in the corner)

So, what do you all think? Thanks! Julie

edited to fix pics

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    All pullets. I'm sure there are plenty of roosters out there for you though!

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Looks like all pullets to me. Doesn't that just figure? The one person that actually wants to get a roo instead of a pullet gets all pullets.

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I think that #3 might be a roo...lot of red there for 6 weeks.

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I am going to bet the NH and the #3 RIR are males. The hackle feathers on the NH look suspicious, but I cannot get a good reading from the picture. #3 is most definately a male. Look at the comb in comparison to the others.

6. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    her is my RIR at 7 weeks.... he had just started crowing.
    Also pictured is my 7 week old GSL pullet

[​IMG]

We held Rose the RIR rooster almost every day from the time we got him until I had to rehome him. He was awesome.. almost like a dog!

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I think #3 is a boy... rest seem to be girls?

8. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I think 3 is a Roo and maybe 4, his comb looks pinkish. I know my little roo at 6 weeks his comb went from orange-to pink-to red within a matter of a few days.

9. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Thank you all so much for your replies!

I really hope those of you thinking we have one or two roos in there are right! Wouldn't it figure, we want a roo and we aren't sure we have one.... [​IMG]

I would really like our #3 RIR to be a roo. I think she's/he's really pretty and would make nice babies. [​IMG]

When can you really tell for sure with these things? When they crow? When do they do that?

Also, if I end up roo-less, would just randomly adding a roo at some point be ok for the girls?

Thanks again, I am always nicely surprised at how great you all are at responding and taking time for a perfect stranger!

Julie

10. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Julie..if that RIR is a roo.... it could be crowing next week.
    first crows are an awful sound...but cute!

Make sure to handle your roos often, so as they know who HEAD ROO is... YOU! Touch their feet, heads, waddles, combs.... and pet them. Just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by