Any Roosters in here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rayelene, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Rayelene

Rayelene Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi everyone. My chickens are now about 10 weeks old and for the most part I think I got hens but I'm not sure. Could you please verify. I can have only one rooster. I have my favourites and My grandchildren each have their own so they are all very tame. I hope I don't have to give any up. I will have to keep as many as the grandchildrens as possible and do a sneaky switch if possible for any that are roosters.

Abby. She belongs to 3 year old Sienna. (Abby is already on version 2 as the first one had slipped tendon). She is a little younger than the rest and I am very suspicious that she might be a rooster. She is quite confrontational and is often seen chest to chest with the others. I have another Rhodie and its comb is less developed (even though she is older) and not so red. Because she has not had so much contact she is not as friendly. I could switch her again for a hen if I have to and it would likely go unnoticed.
    [​IMG]

Alice ... the sweetest, most loving wee girl ever .. I'm pretty sure she is a girl. She belongs to 15 year old Liam
    [​IMG]

Bella. Another I am suspect about. She belongs to 7 year old Levi. For a while we thought she was a rooster as she was quite clearly the boss for a while. But now think maybe it was due to her size. She is huge compared to the other hens. The lady I purchased her from says she thinks she is a rooster .. please tell me she is not as I really want to keep her but can't keep both her and Billie too :( . She is beautiful.
    [​IMG]

'
    Billie. Originally named 'Millie' after my Nana, but is clearly a rooster. He crows :) He is mine and I love him to pieces and would hate to lose him, but I would have to keep Bella (above) if I have to choose :(

[​IMG]

Freckles .. Her and Speckles (below) are the friendliest chooks ever! She gives me no indication that she is a rooster by her behaviour.
    [​IMG]

Speckles. Just as her sister Freckles is .. the friendliest wee thing. I'm pretty sure she is a hen. They are known as the 'terrible twins' as they are inseparable, the most inquisitive and therefore the most mischievous:)
    [​IMG]

Ginger Ninja. Also extremely friendly. She belongs to my 4 year old Grandson Eli. Pretty sure she is a hen.
    [​IMG]

This is Mrs O'Leary .. she belongs to 14 year old Katie. Not as friendly as the others but coming around slowly. She is very docile and easy going so I'm thinking she is a hen.

[​IMG]

Phebe. She is a wee bantum and belongs to 10 year old Emily. The smallest int he coop so never a hassle. I think she comes at the bottom of the pecking order. But she is a wee mother and is the one who stands in the coop door at night calling everyone to bed lol
    [​IMG]

And thats my wee brood. Below is the chicken coop I built for them. [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Bella and Billie are both cockerels. The rest appear to be pullets.

3. Rayelene

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that Michael Dang I"m gutted about that. Means one will have to go back (probably Billie). So you don't think Abby is a cockerel too? Thats a good thing at least :)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Bella and Billie do both look like males. I'm not sure on Abby. The feathering looks like that of a rooster, but the comb isn't as large as you'd normally see on a 10 weeks old Rhode Island Red cockerel.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - since you mention that Abby is "a little younger" due to being Abby II - how old *is* he/she?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  6. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    I'm thinking Abby is a cockerel. I hatched out 4 RIR last year and the roo feathered in like Abby. And those shanks look pretty thick too.

Bella and Billie are both boys too.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

8. Rayelene

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand

she is about 10 or 11 days younger than the rest.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You shot of Abby doesn't have a good profile to it like the other pics do, so I'm not really able to see the hackle and saddle feathers. If you can get a closer profile shot showing the hackle and saddle feathers, I could be more definitive on Abby.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, closer to 8 weeks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by