Any safe way to disinfect swimming water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zacsta, Feb 19, 2015.

1. zacsta

zacsta New Egg

Feb 19, 2015
    I am raising my first pair of ducks (cayugas), they are about 7 weeks old now and have settled in nicely. I have a children's plastic clam-shell pool for them to paddle in, but it quickly soils and becomes putrid (this may be exacerbated by the hot summer weather at the moment).

I of course empty, clean and refresh the water when it gets bad after a few days, but would love to know if I can be saving water while still keeping it healthy for the ducks. Are there any commonly available disinfectants that I could add to the water to prevent bacteria, but are still safe for the ducks?

Thanks,

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Nope. I dump my kiddie pool every day to every other day. If it looks dirty it gets dumped. I do scoop out some water and use it in the garden. There is no way to save the water unless you use a filter and even then it's tricky because ducks much such a mess those even get clogged very quickly.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Personally i just dump them often, in small pools of water like that it's bound to get gross fast and water treatments are usually meant for moving water not stagnate kind...

The water is great for the garden! and they love the mud it creates anyways..(us probably not so much but such is life with raising ducks)

4. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    You could always downsize. Concrete mixing pans from a hardware store work great and only about $4. They are so much easier than the kiddie pools too!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runoff water goes to gardens, and you may be interested in the Aquackponics systems, or simple filter that OldGuy43 set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by