1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Scots Dumpys in the USA?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NC ChickenKate, Sep 25, 2011.

1. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Curious if there are any Scots Dumpy breeders in the USA. Wondering if I'll need to buy a ticket to Scotland to find them? Has anyone flown in with a bird under their seat...and how does one bring a bird or birds in legally?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:In order to import Poultry into the U.S. you will need --

The VS-17 form filled out,
    An broker familiar with importing livestock ,
    Locate a breeder willing to ship into the U.S.,
    Schedule shipping via Air,
    Birds will be in quarantine for 21-30 days
    You will also need the birds vet checked before and after interning the U.S..

At the end you may have around $2000.00 dollars raped up in a flock 8 or so birds.

Chris

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  4. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    [​IMG]

At the end you may have around $2000.00 dollars raped up in a flock 8 or so birds.

Chris

I hate to admit it, but I thought it would be more than that. Only $2000.00? Such a bargain!

Scotts Dumpies are available from Sand Hill Preservation Center: http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Chris

I hate to admit it, but I thought it would be more than that. Only $2000.00? Such a bargain!

Scotts Dumpies are available from Sand Hill Preservation Center: http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

It could be more, I have seen posts here and there about importing birds and around $2000.00 was a bare min. with out the cost of the birds.

Chris

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Sand Hill Preservation is now selling them.

7. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Did anybody get any of these from Sandhill this year ? If you did could you post pics. i am debating on wheither I want to get some of these next year or not. Thanks

8. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I was eyeing these myself and wanted to know how cold hardy they are. Sandhill has a "special" on them if you order by nov 1st you can get this years pricing which gives you 15 Cuckoo Scots Dumpies, 10 of another rare breed of their choice, and shipping all for $150. i was sooo tempted, but I don't think I could convince my husband to spend $150 on chickens, andI wasn't too sure how they would mingle with my mixed flock- I thought they might be at a disadvantage with their stubby little legs. But if any of you try them out, I'd like some feedback on how they do, both over the winter and how friendly, and how they mingle with other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by