any serama experts out there????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyrose, Jan 12, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    im dieing to try and hatch some seramas.ive been trying to get info on incubating serama eggs but cant seem to get a straight answer.does anyone know the correct heat and humidity for a styrofoam still air?can someone tell me at what day do you stop turning and raise the humidity? any other info would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks for any help.

2. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I am not an expert, there are a lot of people here that know miles more than me, but seramas were the first chicks I hatched. I have been told that they need higher humidity and slightly higher temps, and of course they hatch at 19 days not 21. I didn't do anything different and mine hatched at 22 days. (2 out of 5 But those eggs came a long way ) That might indicate they do need a higher temp than 99.5. I have a few in now. I am keeping a close watch on the humidity toward the end to see what happens, and bumped the temp to 100. We'll see....... [​IMG]
    P.S. They are in a Brinsea mini with a fan so that doesn't help your still air question I'm afraid.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I don't think the temp needs to be any higher than for other chickens. They do seem to tolerate higher temps than other chickens since I incubated some at 104F once. I've also incubated them at 100-101F (normal temp I run my still air) multiple times. Sometimes they hatch early, sometimes they don't. Even incubating them at the same temp with eggs from the same person. They hatch a bit randomly and I haven't found a cause for it. Stop turning them day 16 or 17 in case they do hatch early. I usually go with 17. Humidity I run slightly higher on bantam and quail eggs than I do standard chicken eggs particularly the smaller they are. The exact humidity depends on your incubator and climate so if you've hatched before go off that instead of an exact number someone tells you.

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks for the advice.im getting 14 eggs fri.we will see.[​IMG]

5. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    One thing I got from the lady who sent my last eggs. She believes these eggs do best on their sides, not upright or at an angle (in egg cartons). That is the way I hatched my first and i am going with it on her advice.

6. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:i wonder why?why does it seem like its harder to hatch seramas then any other eggs?

7. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I don't know... I hatched mine with just the barest of information. Sometimes I think people over think things [​IMG] They are smaller chickens, do appear to need more heat as adults, so maybe as a warm climate breed that part makes sense. Probably the best thing with them is not to move them around too much (candling) as a smaller egg will cool off quicker, and might be a little more sensitive. Other than that, probably not all that different. They weren't any harder to me...maybe I was lucky. As to candling, I only did it twice... those eggs are really easy to see into, so I did it at 7 days and just before lockdpwn to be sure any doubtfuls were still going. I expect you will do just fine with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by