Any silkie owners on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sweetlilbaby, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I have a weird question. I googled how to tell if a chick is pure silkie and it said that silkies will have an extra toe, is this true?

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    yes

3. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    YAY I has a silkie!!!!! It has an extra toe on each foot. instead of 4 it has 5. :D

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    They also have blook skin and bones.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    huh? Whats blook?

6. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    They meant black.

7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Oh yeah I read about that. This chick is so far doing okay. It's not very active unless my hand is in with it. Might move it to my living room in order to make it happier.

8. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Black or dark grey skin, legs & beak and 5 toes on each foot, feathered legs. And of course, it will very quickly get a "puff" of little fuzzy feathers on top of it's head and the "baby fuzz" look never goes away [​IMG] I love my Silkies! [​IMG]

9. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    This is why I want silkies. I just hope more pure silkies hatch. I also heard they are friendlier then most chicken breeds. The one that hatched (early bird) already will follow me around if i set her on the floor. My other chicks at 2 days old sat on the floor were off to look around.
    THis one has fuzzy everything (legs feet body), black legs and beak, I can't see skin on it and not going to move the fuzz trying to find skin. It's fuzz isn't all black anymore, looks like there is a lil gray fuzz as well.
    What all colors do silkies come in? Cause I'm hoping for different color chicks.

10. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    They can come in as many colors as are out there. I currently have white, black, buff, partridge, silver partridge, splash partridge, splash & blue partridge. There are also red, paint, blue, lavender, calico, grey, etc. You can have a whole rainbow in your pen.

My Silkies are some of the few of my birds that will just kinda sit there & let you pick them up. They are just kinda lazy & laid back for the most part. My kids cart them around like babies & cuddle them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by