Any special climate requirements for Tampa, Fl coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iveman99, Aug 12, 2013.

1. iveman99

iveman99 New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Just built my coop last week and brought my girls home but had a couple of region specific questions. Does the coop need extra ventilation given the near tropical temperatures here? Is there a particular place (top, middle, bottom) that is better for adding a window or vents?

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    A mostly open coop into a covered run would be ideal in really hot regions. I am in the Midwest and the walk-in door in open full time and closed only during the Winter months. Large opening up high on the coop with storm flaps would be good. You could put your windows on the most shaded side of the coop and even below an angled board to act as a sun awning. This way it lets in natural light but keeps out direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Living in KS we get some some days with temps of 100+ and high humidity. Those are the toughest on everyone - including the chickens. I would put vents in the highest part of the coop and have multiple vents and windows to take advantage of whatever breeze there is. Good luck to you!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! You have a great coop! I'm jealous!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by