Any special shots, etc. needed for eating eggs?? Thanks.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishnick2401, May 21, 2008.

1. fishnick2401

fishnick2401 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if chickens needed any special shots, medication or dewormer prior to eating their eggs?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, in fact, you really dont want them medicated if you're eating their eggs.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I was wondering the same thing!!! Glad someone asked!!! I have heard, though, that it's a good idea to worm them shortly before they begin laying....anyone know if this is true???

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Personal pref.. I don't medicate unless there is a reason - I don't medicate just in case... so my chickens have never been wormed.

5. fishnick2401

fishnick2401 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Oh, I wasn't sure if the chickens needed anything prior to eating their eggs. I had read on this forum that people deworm their chickens some time prior to eating the eggs. Thanks for info.

6. speckledhen

I didn't worm my flock till they were two years old. Really, there is no reason to worm them unless you think they have worms, especially if they freerange. Birds that range tend to eat plants that are natural wormers, if they're available. Mine are going on three years old and have only been wormed twice chemically, and only after I saw a worm in one rooster's poop once. Other than that, I tend to give them natural preventatives to keep the worm load from getting out of hand.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I've had laying hens almost 35 years and I've never wormed any of them. I don't like to give meds unless they're absolutely necessary.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i was wondering the same thing..thanks for asking!..but just out of curiousity CAN we get worms from the eggs IF they have worms??.thanks, ;o)

9. speckledhen

No, you cannot get worms from the eggs. If you see a worm IN an egg, the worm load in your birds is pretty horrendous and definitely time to worm them!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks for replying..just wanted to be sure...also..i just purchased a bag of food grade DE..red clay.. something or other, will that Really help prevent worms?..i've heard differant stories on it..so just curious...i have 2 dogs and 2 goats and a pot belly pig..and now some chickens and ducklings..so i want to make sure none of them get any worms so i dont have a diaster on my hands trying to get rid of them!..thanks for any info..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by