Any standard Cornish breeders?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dancingbear, Nov 8, 2008.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I'm wanting to buy fertile eggs from standard Cornish, prefer dark, but would take any color, except white. I want to avoid hatchery run birds if at all possible.
    I'd appreciate any leads on finding some of these. Thanks!

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have the dark cornish but it will be spring before I seperate them for breeding again. I will be posting on the eggs for sale or trade listing in spring. [​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have never found someone advertising to sell white cornish standard eggs or birds. One theory is they don't want us making our own cornish crosses....

... but, if you look broiler catalogs, the "Cornish" and "Rock" used to make broiler hybrids look utterly nothing like either a cornish or a rock. 50 years ago they did, but they're not within the same zip code to the standards.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Yep. I know all that. That's why I'm searching for standard Cornish breeders. There are some in the UK, but that won't help me here.

I'm hoping somebody raises SQ Cornish. I don't want white ones, anyway. I free-range my birds, any pure white birds I've had (unless we butchered them before the wildlife did) we lost to predators. My multi-colored and dark birds are usually just fine. The local predators don't seem to notice them as easily.

Southerngirl, I sent you a PM, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by