any star gazers out there?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    My son has been talking about the stars and constellations for a few weeks now and i thought it may be good to get him a telescope ... WHOAAAAA [​IMG] they can get expensive.. there is one on ebay for $80K .. [​IMG]

can you recommend a inexpensive one for him... he is 13... thanks

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    All I can tell you is you get what you pay for with telescopes. Go cheap, you get cheap.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I don't know brands, etc., but my ex is big into that stuff and I do know for around $300 you can get some perfectly good quality ones suitable for his age. Less than that are cheap toys and pretty useless, but you don't need to spend thousands on a beginner hobby. See how he does with a starter one and you can always upgrade it he proves to be serious about it. I think it's an excellent hobby idea for a teen, and you can enjoy it too!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:$80k?? As in $80 THOUSAND??! [​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours has an inexpensive one, a Christmas gift when he showed interest.

It's been nice to have during some events, but is NOT anything fancy.

Good for exploring the stars/planets nearest Earth.

Figured if he wanted to do more after that we'd splurge on the $300 one, but he lost interest so we were glad we went with the inexpensive one.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:$80k?? As in $80 THOUSAND??! [​IMG]

yes $80,000 thats more then both my car and hubby's car put together

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Get a multipurpose device, e.g., binoculars (a 6" reflector will sit collecting dust if the interest fades with the dawn of a more compelling avocation, a pair of binoculars is for the birds, etc.). Bushnell makes relatively good, inexpensive, `nocs (either 8x40 or 10x50 - both have exit pupils of 5mm - most bang for the buck).

Use of `nocs for astronomy: http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/binoculars.html

A
    pair of Bushnell 8x40's and a shareware program like Cybersky (free for 30 days): http://www.cybersky.com/ will run less than $100.00.

8. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    I second usin' binos...you can get a tripod too & bino attachments & get some good quality outta them, if you want, get some Leupolds, a bit more spendy, but they're guranteed for life...can't beat that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by