ANY STEEL WORKERS OUT THERE???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Nov 8, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    My husband called home yesterday to let me know that his plant is temporarly closing..They said it is because they have no orders for steel. They said 2 weeks, but the Union is looking at 2 months. The auto makers are in a lot of trouble right now. All I can do with this is put it in God's hand. My grand parents lived through a depression. We will make it through a recession. [​IMG] DJ

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I am SO sorry. This was to be expected! My DH works at a refinery but is actually a ASW union member. Remember a few years back when the union absorbed the paper and chemical workers?

Does the union have an emergency fund of any sort?

My sister got laid off very unexpectedly yesterday. Corporate came and simply closed her whole division. And a good friend of mine whose family moved last year at her husband's company's request suddenly found themselves out in the cold. He got laid off (permanently) with two weeks severence. They have only lived in their house for 18 months and it is worth less than they bought it for...

Hard times are here........

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    not a steel worker, but we live in Youngstown. And as a steelworker in Ohio you know this city. Is bad out here when you are a worker, i see this area going down, all the empty houses.. going to Niles i see the old mills and wonder how it was 30 years ago.

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

USW member here. [​IMG] I work for Dupont and our plant is trying like crazy to avoid layoffs. We just signed a contract this past spring, after working without one for 13 years (no, that is not a typo), so relations are much better than they had been. As a result, the plant management (and corporate) and really trying to get us all through this tough time. Production is down around 40%. We're all just doing the best we can. Spending is now zero, which is tough because I work in R&D. Can't do much research with no budget.

Sending good energy to all. [​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Also not a steel worker, but my husband is in a union. I'm terrified they'll be laid off without notice. I can't believe we have to worry about this!

[​IMG] I hope things look up for you!! I'm so sorry.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    It is so unfair that people who work so hard get stiffed. I hope we are now seeing the end of shortsighted corporate bigwigs feeding at the trough. I fear those particular jobs may not be coming back, but I trust that we all will use our human qualities of resourcefulness to figure out what is next.

I studied labor history in college, and I remember amazing pictures of steelworkers in times past and today. Thinking of all the brave and beautiful and hardworking steel workers of the past and present. I hope things turn around for you all really soon.

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    My Grandpa Bill, he was a steel worker in Oak Harbor, Oh. He moved from Banner Kentucky during the depression. He work there until he retired then a year later he was gone. I know what you mean by the amazing pictures. We lived it through my Grandfather. He was an amazing man.
    I seen on the Today show this morning about Ford and other auto making Co. having to lay off thousands of their employees. I feel for them and their family's too. It has been a domino effect!
    I don't look for my husband to go back in 2 months. They just don't have any orders. No one can afford new vehicles. Every one in this area are looking for cheap used cars with good gas mileage
    According to the Union Contract. What we get in unemployment, the union will make up for a 40 hour week. This will get us through for 6 months.
    I do my best not to worry. I feel that shows a weakness in my Faith, I have learned to take a deep breath and put it in God's hands. Take one day at a time. God will see us through. That is sincerely how I feel. Thank you all for your kind words and support. [​IMG] DJ

8. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

DH was a union steelworker back in the late 70's until his plant closed. It was hard to adjust to a new way of life and he didn't find another job for over a year - but we survived. Now he thinks the company might have been able to survive if it hadn't been for the union.

Good luck to you all - we had some food storage and that helped with the year out of work. If they are just mumbling about layoffs, start saving as much $$$ as you can and hope they are able to hang on long enough for you to get ready.

9. newchickenfarmer

newchickenfarmer New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    brazil,Indiana
    Quote:I'm truely sorry about your news, life is ruff enough with a job and is very hard on a family, I may not be much help but my husband works in a steel factory called PDF, but we in Indiana,Brazil small town but in just our little town we have 3 or 4 steel fab shops and Terre Haute,In also has steel shops well best of luck to you and your family and God Bless. newchickenfarmer

10. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Hubby came home today..now they are looking to go back in the spring. I really can't see that either the way the auto industry is right now. I will stay positive however. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by